1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I got my 'compact' camera today

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by teefin1, Feb 21, 2013.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Finally, after waiting nearly a week, and most of the morning, I got my camera. Panasonic GX1, used, body, for a fair price (I think). First impressions: excellent condition,no marks, only a few hundred shutter acutations. Happy so far. Ive played around with it and yes, it has a lot of manual control, yes, it is very customisable, but I don't find it any more so than the NEX 7, and to be honest, for my needs, the custom options on the other NEX models suited pretty well. The AF on the Oly 45/1.8 is very snappy, but the Sigma fails to lock focus A LOT of the time, to the point where I wonder if its defective. I think I'll get a replacement just to be sure. I like the little flash, it doesn't lock in bounce like some folks but its easy to hold in a consistent bounce position and gives even lighting. Now as to image quality - its surprisingly good, not because its not a NEX but because of the smaller sensor I thought it wouldn't be as good as it is. The shot below of Bella (dane) is at iso 12800, which was set automatically by the camera. FInally, Im not sure it's a keeper for me, I like NEX, and find that the & performs well enough for the GX1 to not REALLY be an option for me, but we will see. I like trying out different things, some stick, some don't. P1010779 (2). P1010769 (2). P1010768 (2). P1010742 (2). P1010789 (2).

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting observations. It will be interesting to see which (if any) of your impressions change as you sue the camera more.

3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes the IQ is very good, are those in camera B&W ? They look a bit flat..

4. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    It is a nice little cam, very responsive and fun to play around with. The main reason I may not keep it is because of how similar it is to the NEX and maybe I just want something a little different....but its hard to argue with the quality of it. I wanted the Sigma to be better, as its hard to justify the cost of the Olympus on a 'handbag' camera, it actually cost more than the camera. So ill give it a few days....I already keep getting it out of the box every five minutes to play with some other feature! I have got my eye on an Oly 17mm and a Panny 14mm on the Bay, as I can probably justify something wide, which I don't have covered in E or A mount......Of course, if my brain doesn't concur I will trade it for an X10, it was a toss up anyway :)

5. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, yes, they were straight OOC B&W images, no processing at all. I didn't even get a chance to adjust the in camera settings.

6. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    they're well good enough teefin, enjoy the camera

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Lovely shots there, especially #1 and #5 ;)

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That poor Bella, such a sad face. :)

9. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks. Danes practise that face...which is how they end up with their own sofa, special diet and other 'perks' the other two dogs just don't get. :)

10. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    You should be able to push the flash unit gently back in place and it should stay there. VERY useful.