I got a letter "may we use your pictures"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Catcher005, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Catcher005

Catcher005 New to TalkEmount

Mar 24, 2015
    Paris
    Jean
    Hi all, I love photography although it's not my profession, and just yesterday I got a letter from a non-for profit publishing co. with "Would you be willing to give us permission to use it" - supposedly it'll be run on the website, twitter for a couple of weeks and their flyers on a certain event.

I am new to this and I am ok (I guess) with giving permission (good that they asked and not just grabbed a photo from my site) but is it possible that I am missing something here, or should I ask them for something or about something - really, I'm new to this so please advise me on what to respond. Thank you!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Assuming that it really is a non-profit, and they're not profiting from your work, then just the fact that they bothered to ask gives them a boatload of good will in my estimation. So unless you plan on making money off of those photos in the future, I would give them my blessing and let them know that you appreciate the fact that they asked. No harm in reinforcing good behavior IMhO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In addition, I don't think it would be out of line at all to apply the condition that you be identified as the owner/photographer of the photo(s)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    I've let a site that doesn't charge its users to use a photo (fish pair with fry) but that's within one of my hobbies. Non-profit covers a range of thing, including some thing where executive compensation is over $150K US a year. Donate if you would have donated money to the non-profit.