I got a letter "may we use your pictures"

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Catcher005, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Catcher005

Catcher005 New to TalkEmount

Mar 24, 2015
    Paris
    Jean
    Hi all, I love photography although it's not my profession, and just yesterday I got a letter from a non-for profit publishing co. with "Would you be willing to give us permission to use it" - supposedly it'll be run on the website, twitter for a couple of weeks and their flyers on a certain event.

I am new to this and I am ok (I guess) with giving permission (good that they asked and not just grabbed a photo from my site) but is it possible that I am missing something here, or should I ask them for something or about something - really, I'm new to this so please advise me on what to respond. Thank you!

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Assuming that it really is a non-profit, and they're not profiting from your work, then just the fact that they bothered to ask gives them a boatload of good will in my estimation. So unless you plan on making money off of those photos in the future, I would give them my blessing and let them know that you appreciate the fact that they asked. No harm in reinforcing good behavior IMhO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    In addition, I don't think it would be out of line at all to apply the condition that you be identified as the owner/photographer of the photo(s)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    I've let a site that doesn't charge its users to use a photo (fish pair with fry) but that's within one of my hobbies. Non-profit covers a range of thing, including some thing where executive compensation is over $150K US a year. Donate if you would have donated money to the non-profit.