1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I found one!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Bimjo, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Several weeks ago I posted up some shots under a bridge titled "In search of trolls". I just got back from a week in Seattle for the birth of my grandson and I found one! Well, both- grandson and a troll. ;)

This is the famous Fremont Troll, who lurks under the Aurora Street bridge in the Fremont district. Quite famous, difficult to find with GPS unless you know the exact address, but worth the effort.

NEX-5N/kit zoom. Granddaughter for scale. Like the VW Beetle wasn't clue enough. :cool:

fremont_troll121014_01.

Between the weather and the hectic pace of a new grandson I didn't get many pictures taken. I did get some at the aquarium that I'll process and post later though.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hah, I didn't even notice the Vdub until you mentioned it! Nice find :)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Creepy but cool at the same time.

4. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Me neither. :) I think the addition of your granddaughter, as well as adding scale also adds a nice splash of colour amongst the greys and browns. The Troll is a very cool piece of public art as well.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It is a pretty cool piece of art. They dress him up for the different holidays & stuff. He stays remarkably grafitti free too. Not sure if they just don't tag him much or if there's a concerted effort to keep him clean.

The troll was an effort to rid the area of drug dealers and apparently it worked. :)

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Granddaugher seems scared, lol :D

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Haha, she wanted nothing to do with it at first. I had to walk up and put my hand on it before she'd get anywhere near it. :)

But she got over it.

fremont_troll121014_02.

8. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I really like this as a follow up to the first pic. Imagine at her size how much more scary that troll must be.

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Very cool.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, I think it works pretty well. Fortunately for her, Grandpa has matured over the years and resisted the urge to yell "BOO!" or something stupid. ;)

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It really is. I've seen pics of it over the years but never had the time to track it down and shoot it until this trip. Now I need to go back and do it right. Something at night, with a flashlight or something. :)