1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I finally have the remote connection down pat

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by slothead, Mar 7, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I got the a5100 wifi remote to work a week ago and then I forgot how I did it. I fiddled around with it again yesterday to no avail, and even the YouTube "tutorials" (3rd party type) were of no help. The camera menu system is really misleading and I found the correct "app" on the "Application List" function rather then the "Wireless" function as I had expected. Now I'll remember it.

The Play Memories remote works great allowing zooming, +/- 3 f-stops adjustment and both still and video acquisition. I haven't explored it yet, but I'm sure there is more to play with too.

Most of the YouTube tutorials are somewhat misleading because they are a little old and all describe the process of having to log onto the internet and download the applications. In the case of my a5100, the apps are already on the camera and the more essential issue is knowing in which sub-menu to find them and then how to get them connected (actually a piece of cake once you have both camera and iPad connected via the camera wifi point and the apps running).

I'm really pleased and can't wait to hang the body on the back of one of my telescopes!

• Like Like x 1
  2. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    New info... I was curious how long the camera would stay live with its wifi access point... This was because I wanted the ability to start it up and watch the target image as long as I could... So I cranked it up and turned on the iPad to connect to it and let it sit there (well sorta... I was playing with it a bit, but no more than I would while the camera was being used). The connection stayed active for over half an hour which was enough to satisfy me.

I am still very happy with the system and can't wait until I can set the 'scope up in St John's next month and watch the skies! Woohoo!