1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I don't need an A7R II

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I don't need an A7RII

I don't need an A7RII

I don't need an A7RII...

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Resistance is futile.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tomO2013

tomO2013 TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 11, 2014
    Don't buy it Amin..... Happy wife. Happy life.
    Happy wife. Happy life.
    Happy wife. Happy life.

• Like Like x 3
  4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    When are you getting one to test? Then you can send back the wrong camera:)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I know I have had those days. :)

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The trouble is, if you buy an A7RII, then you'll have to buy all these new lenses to go with that sweet resolution and IBIS. And the next thing you know, you're scouring eBay for some obscure 125mm f/2.5 Leitz Hektor, and it's all downhill from there, Amin. :shakehead:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I currently have a7, a7ii and a77ii. How am I going to hide the 4th body from my wife?
    I probably hold off awhile. Though, I would snatch up a "super deal"...for maybe around $2500~$2800
    I've never had any camera higher than 24MP and 42MP is really tempting.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. I have looked at raw files from it, they looked awful. Too much resolution and too little noise. I told my wife I didn't need it for the things I do now. She asked (she's understanding beyond comprehension): "What pictures can't you make because you don't have that camera?" Ermmm... OK, I think I'd be able to get that camera by mid next year if saving up judiciously within the budgetary restrictions we have imposed on ourselves for fun money. Now find a way to bend the rules or raise money from selling stuff I once needed badly.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    This is a very good point. Sony invested millions in R&D so that you can buy the A7rii (and sell an A7ii and your better half wont even know you have changed cameras because it looks exactly the same). I am actually keeping the A7ii on the basis that my GF wont notice that I have bought a new camera as long as both cameras are not in the same place at once.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I am wondering if I should cancel my incoming review copy so I don't have to face the decision of whether to buy it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi, my name is Joel and I am a Sony addict :(
    My problem is my 3 main lenses are a7rII ready! In fact, it seems this is the camera these lenses were born to use on. Argh! Not to mention that if they have solved the corner resolving issues with this BSI structure, my dream lens (35 Summilux) may now be suddenly way more viable on Sony FF body. ARGH!

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with my A7 so at least I have no excuses not to wait for the first price reductions... But boy do I need to double down on saving up :(

• Like Like x 2
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    In case anyone is wondering how 24MP looks next to 42MP, I made this so I could see the relative difference:

DSC016082.

It's not helping my resolve...

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  13. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Indeed...

14. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    All you really need is food, water and shelter. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'm only justifying it because I got paid for that wedding I did for a friend and I'm selling a handful of lenses (how in the world I ended up with 8 different 50's, I have no idea...)

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    and Internet, Internet is a necessittteeeeeeeeeee

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    From first reports, rf lenses has the same problem like A7R which is caused by the sensor topping thickness. BSI seems to solve the color shifts which might help lenses like CV 12mm/21mm which already works with A7R cameras. CV is releasing a new 35mm 1.7 in August and that might work better with the A7's based on their latest CV15mm release...

Low light focus is improved 1EV from A7/A7R to A7II and another 1 EV from A7II to A7R II, but A7R II is still 2EV behind A7S which focuses in -4EV.

AF with Canon lenses also needs to be tested. Latest STM lenses like 40mm have fast af, but not the older 70-200 f2.8L or even newer Tamron 24-70mm... It might be due to the adapters also. At least now there are enough Sony/Zeiss lenses to cover most of the range that people needs...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I can't have one unless I trade in my Leica M which has halved :)mad:) in value in less than 2 years. I have to decide which is the more useable for me given that squinting through the rangefinder happens less and less and I've come to rely on the crappy Oly VF2 viewfinder........

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    And all I want is to find someone with an A7ii that wants to let it go really cheap just to make room for an A7Rii.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm in the same boat in that selling my M 240 would probably be the right thing to do if I get the A7RII.

• Agree Agree x 1