1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I don't know why I do these things....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Nubster, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Well, not leaving the NEX family fo'sho...I but did just buy another DSLR. Please, go ahead and slap me now.

2. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I predicted that almost everyone who moved from a DSLR to a next would end up with a DSLR again, although I love the next and use it more than the DSLR , I would never be without a DSLR for the functionality and ease of use .so no slaps from this corner, many many more will migrate back, the hype about peaking is way over the top for what it is. Give me a big bright OVF anytime.
    The nex is a brilliant camera but IMHO will never replace a serious photographers DSLR. I would never dream of putting a nex on a tripod, if I'm taking a tripod I'm taking an SLR. I don't think I've taken one shot on the nex which could not have been bettered on my DSLRs, just having a dslr seems to make you take time to think of the shot and what you are trying to achieve, with a the nex I seem to either fire away or not take enough, it's so convenient that it's in your pocket and you can't be bothered taking it out or it's on the wrist strap and you take the scatter gun approach.
    i have never really taken a serious photo on the nex, although I have taken some very good perhaps excellent ones.
    so for me it replaces my little sony t 200 (which is a great little camera) when a dslr is not convenient.
    the best thing going for me on the nex system is probably this forum.

3. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    I'm one for replacing the DLSR with EVIL. My experience with the NEX-6 has been quite pleasant so far, but I don't blame you for going back to a much more purposeful DSLR.

But, since this is a NEX forum, *slap

4. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    The NEX is small and easy to carry when traveling but sometimes a bit awkward to handle. I very much miss a terminal for a threaded remote control on the NEX and the OVF of my DSLR is astonishing.

5. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    My purchase of the Nex was a deliberate choice after to have been in possession of various dsrl. It also depends on the nature of photography. Control is a habituation process. The menu I found in the beginning harder than the Nikon D7000. Currently I have no more problems with the Ministry. So is there anyway at every camera something you prefer otherwise would have had and so it will always remain. But that hold the discussions young.

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No slapping here. There are only two mirrorless systems that can touch DSLRs right now for performance, and that's m4/3 and Nikon, the latter being crippled by lack of native lenses and a way too small chip with little DOF control. When I had a GX-1/PL25/P14-45/Oly40-150/LVF2 kit, and if I was ok with losing continuous focus, I had indeed a set-up that could tackle a DLSR rig in a portion of the bulk/weight.
    Switching to NEX I lost the operational speed and AF performance (and brilliant UI and valuable lenses) but I re-gained my cherished DOF control (warning, already very dead horse here) and finer IQ, plus the very exciting ability to successfully use older manual lenses with Peaking (I had tried using older glass with m4/3 but magnification being totally useless for living subjects, it was a total failure).
    Today the only DSLR I'd consider getting would be either a FF D600, or a Sony SLT for full time exposure preview and all assorted Sony goodies. Trouble is, I've become addicted to RF form factor. If Sony was smart enough to release a X-E1 sized, RF shaped SLT body with A mount, I'd be all over it...

7. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    If I did my photography in a studio, if I was doing sports photography, if I was stalking the rich and famous, if I was a photojournalist, if did weddings, if I did corporate events, if I did advertising -- then I'd use a DSLR and I wouldn't look back.

Art, on the other hand....

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, I'd never question anyone else's obsessions. Don't get me started on motorcycles, for instance. But DSLRS? Meh. Ain't never going to happen again. Getting rid of my last one was like having an aching tooth extracted. Ahhhhh...

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hahahaha! I use mine on a tripod all the time. :)

But then again, I'm the original "shaky Jake" these days, so I need the help in anything but high noon on a clear day. ;)

10. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    My original intent getting the NEX was to replace using a DSLR forever. I knew that the AF ability of the NEX wasn't great going in, but I find my self missing lots of shots with the NEX...mostly kids running around...stuff I want to shoot and keep for the future. I still don't miss the bulk and heft of a DSLR and as far as functionality is concerned, a DSLR (nicer ones that is) are slightly more convenient with a lot of their controls located on the body, I have quickly learned how to do what I need to do on my NEX so that's not a issue. Image quality certainly isn't disappointing either. So I don't know. Maybe I just need another DSLR to reaffirm why I made the switch, maybe I just need a DSLR in the stable to pull out and use when the occasion dictates. Anyways, my almost new Nikon D7000 should be here later this week. Guess I'll see what happens.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    For me size has never been an issue (one of the things I actually "dislike" or bother me to word it better is the small size of the Nex - I'm probably the only one here :D)
    When I was shopping for a new camera (money was an issue) I choose the Nex cause with that kind of money you can't really buy a top of the line DSLR but only an entry-level one which in the end of the day doesn't offer too much more that the Nex.

Just my opinion tho...

12. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I think a lot of folks here have more than one set up and/or swap them about a bit. I have the Sony A57, sold the Nex 7 and am waiting for my GX1 to be delivered. I will get another 7 sooner rather than later; its a great cam. So no slaps from this quarter either! :)

13. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
  14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I think (some folks will laugh as they know me as an OM-D hater) that if bulk/weight is the issue, the closest thing to a DLSR is an OM-D set-up. Closest as in performance, and IQ. Sure, continuous AF is sketchy and DOF control is limited by the chip's size, but overall you get 90% of DLSR performance in a MUCH smaller package (actually I found the camera way too small/cramped for me, and I'm a rather smallish woman).

15. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Yeah, key there is sketchy AF performance which is the sole reason I'm adding a DSLR back to my arsenal, at least until mirrorless catches up.

16. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Does the Omd have sketchy AF performance? I always imagined it to be superb.....for mirrorless, Nikon 1 notwithstanding.

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    No, the OM-D has superb AF performance (but your oncoming GX-1 is even better/more accurate, in ANY light. The OM-D is known to slow down/lose accuracy a bit in low light, the GX-1 does not).

18. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I only tried an OMD in a shop but found the same thing - but then I found that with other Olympus cameras too, which I did own (EPL1 and EPL3) - it's not that the camera was too small (as they are not smaller than the Nex) just that the controls were too cramped and the poor ergonomics (as in poor for me) was very frustrating. Which is a shame as the cameras gave great results (at ISO 800 or under the best jpegs I have ever come across, but then I have never owned a Fuji X series which I hear are as good).

19. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I can understand that somehow. However, if you don't need a camera for sports photography (and don't like prefocus) I can't really think of a reason for buying a SLR over a NEX. Yeah, faster AF is nice, but not really necessary for most people. And size - I never bought the NEX because it was small, but rather because I felt comfortable growing with a back then brand new system - and a pretty light one even with a couple of lenses.

Right now, I feel quite limited with my NEX-5. No viewfinder, a really bad video codec (17 Mbps 60i AVCHD), no hot shoe and limited external controls. But then again, a NEX-7 could solve all of that. Switching systems is not possible simply because of the money concern. I already invested more than a grand in E-Mount lenses - and I'll triple that amount this year, so I won't be able to switch systems for quite a while. Still, I think the NEX-system was the perfect choice for me.

20. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Good thing is, I was already invested in the Nikon DSLR system with my D300. I did sell one lens, but it was one I didn't use that often. I guess we'll see what happens. Like I said before, getting another DSLR body may just reaffirm my decision to abandon DSLR's the first time and I may shoot the new one for a week and sell it again and realize I am perfectly happy with my NEX-6.