I do not want to replace my nex 7 for now

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by freddytto, Feb 19, 2013.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    What a Shame on the part of Sony¡¡¡, they are more worried about new nex bodies without worrying about what his customers really want.
    Today I am very happy with my nex7, I can not lie about the AF, could say is good, but no great but it works for my needs for now but could sony create a upgrade to improve AF, dynamic range, in order to try to please the nex7 owner's, and now in a few months we going to have a new camera.

That's good because you could also get a new update, but I doubt it because until recently one update come out, I think they have forgotten us.Meanwhile I'll keep shooting with my nex 7. I love the viewfinder and tri-nav.

Some of my street photography

Sea Food by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

The best Friends by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

Broadway by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    The thing is the NEX-7N is not necessarily aimed at NEX-7 users, but rather at people who look to upgrade from lower end NEX cameras or who look to get rid of their huge SLR stuff.

Your NEX-7 doesn't get any worse, and it got all useful features most people would ever need, so no reason to change bodies now. I wouldn't buy the 7N for sure if I would own the 7, but as a 5 owner, I simply want the Tri-Navi and EVF. I even thought of buying the current NEX-7, but I first want to see the real prices on the new Zeiss lenses so I can calculate what exactly to buy this year.
  3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Heh this sounds like me when I heard the 5R and 6 were coming out shortly after getting my 5N. In truth I'm grateful upgrades are incremental enough that it's always worth it to skip a generation (unless moving up a class ... as Poki says). I don't miss not having the 5R for sure, and the 6 really would only be worth it (to me) if selling at much less than what it currently is going for. If you upgrade every other generation, you may end up spending less on the 7 series than 5 series because Sony is likely to go for more 5 bodies more frequently, while they depreciate at a faster rate. This is one consideration for me in moving up.
  4. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Judging by your photos, it doesn't look like you need to replace your 7 any time soon.

What I hope is that Sony will continue to refine NEX 7 via firmware upgrades. Wouldn't mind having the ability to set more flexible auto ISO with minimum shutter speed allowed and flexible max ISO. Who knows, may be Sony's partnership with Olympus will turn NEX 7's CDAF into a speed demon. Good things come to those who wait, right? :D
  5. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I never want the new model -- until I see it.
  6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Well said Yohan !! Freddy indeed you don't need anything more than you already have to continue enchanting us with your great photos. The two street beggars with the costumed one deserves to be printed huge and hung, it's a Classic.
    Besides that, we must not get personal about Sony or any other company, because they don't see us as people, customers to listen to, but as wallets. So let's vote with our dollars... I love my NEX 7, so much that I'm on my second unit after hastily ditching the first. But if I read the rumor right, Sony apparently is aware of how much market share they lost to the OM-D and GH-3 users. I think they vastly underestimated the high end crowd desire for an advanced and fast performing mirrorless body. Look at how they made the NEX at first, it's CLEARLY aimed at P&S and cellphone upgrades, NOT enthusiasts !!
    Now they're finding out, the hard way, that a lot of folks (not us, obviously) are happy to compromise IQ (meaning sensor size, yes folks get over it, or sue me) to get serious *performance* and usability. Ah, pause. Ok, so now they need to put those excellent, class leading chips, into bodies that can actually compete in the field with Panny and Oly, while being tightly pressed and abused by Fuji on the IQ side of things. In all honesty, one has to be either a noob upgrading (and then again, in my mind there are better propositions from Panny in this case) or a die hard legacy lens user to chose NEX over its competitors.
    Sony has a history of iterating bodies like crazy while were still missing useful (or worthy) lenses. I'd be surprised they stop doing that anytime soon, we have to live with it. Camera makers seem to be line phone operators. They'd rather GET you than KEEP you (I wonder how long all those guys stay married ? lol).
    But back to the 7 successor. Fuji, of all people, has just managed to break the fast AF riddle (see X100S and X20 demo videos, that's fast even by my standards, and I'm the loudest AF complainer on this board), so I can't imagine Sony not being able to do the same, especially now that they have a partnership with Oly...
    The 7 didn't appeal to me at released because (I'm weird) I didn't want to deal with a 24MP chip (I assume since it was the camera's selling point, they might have botched or under addressed the rest). However, I suspect the 7n (if that's how they chose to name it) will appeal, IF the AF performance improvement is proven, and REAL. An incremental upgrade, or placebo effect PDAF à la 6 is not going to cut it for me (and I'm afraid it could very well be all that Sony has to offer for now, yawn). I'd also like a better operational speed, I still find the camera a bit leisurely when browsing menus, deleting pictures, etc. I want configurable Auto ISO (God I can't even believe we have to beg for that), and more assignable functions to the various buttons and controls.
    Very simply out, I want more real life performance and usability. IQ doesn't need to be changed IMO, it's already better than I need (It'm totally the sticking point in my craft right now, vs. my camera).
    I hate 16:9 screens that lose a lot of real estate, and I want a GOOD touchscreen (à la GX-1, best I've used so far). I believe a usable touchscreen to be a valid request on a modern, high end camera. Until that, let's just rejoice for our non 7 using friends, because the new release is going to push the current 7 prices way down ;)
  7. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The 7 does what I need it to do now. I don't jump at every upgrade. Unless there is a massive improvement I'm not interested. Very nice photos Freddy
  8. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Would love to see a touchscreen with touch to focus (not bothered about any other touch features though) as this is for me by far the quickest way to select the focus point - and also configurable Auto ISO. My £200 Panasonic G3 has both these features, so no reason not to have them in a £1000+ camera. :)
  9. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    When I first got my GX-1 I was completely against the mere idea of a touchscreen on a serious camera. Upon trying it I enabled ALL the touch functions except touch shutter. The Panny touch panels are great in that you can not only touch to focus, but the interface for choice of AF area size is brilliant, and there is a retractable extra "tab" with additional touch controls on demand. It's GOLDEN.
    When I got the 5N I was seriously bummed at the downgrade in touchscreen quality vs the Panny, and I hear the 5R's is even worse. Sony doesn't seem to have realized the asset a quality touchscreen is.
  10. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I really liked the touchscreen on the GF2, which I had for about 5 minutes last year, due mostly to not having a clue how to operate a camera in anything other than auto, but never used it on the 5n. Panny's implementation is very good.
  11. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Fuji's timing seemed a little off. Perhaps they should have waited and shipped the X-E1 with the PDAF sensor found on X100S. Sony's partnership with Olympus is intriguing for sure. Since MFT cameras are all CDAF, I'm hoping Sony will enhance the AF on the NEX 7 even with the arrival of its successor.

Auto ISO configuration is something that the NEX 7 NEEDS to be considered a serious camera. Let us set the max ISO, min shutter speed, etc. And more customization with Tri-Navy. Why do the right tri-wheel and down arrow on the circle both do EV compensation?! Seems like it would be an easy enough of a firmware upgrade.. may be I'm wrong.

That being said, we're blessed to live in an era where we have so much of everything. I really need to learn to be satisfied with what I have. There are photographers who make beautiful photographs with way more "outdated" gear.

I realized how sexy my NEX 7 looks with the 24mm attached. That's a good start, I'd say.
  12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Makes sense to me. Can't expect newcomers to keep going for a 2 year old gadget - even if it is still at the head of the pack! ;) I'm glad they're doing it and I hope it sells well so they can put lots of energy into the N7r... and the 9!
  13. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I hope sony do that, improve AF, but for now use MF is usually faster, an example to us Claire thereby shown to be excellent in the nex (another thing also is she is very good using MF).

Improving the AF more faster, could swear that many people would be picking one in the store now but there are other good cameras out there with very faster AF and are not in the range of nex7, I've been thinking about jumping on the fuji (XE1) but trouble is that for whatever reason is not better than my nex7, I mean using legacy lenses (MF).
  14. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks mate
  15. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree Claire, the nex7 is very good, I think for now I will not need to replace my nex7, I better save for E-mount lenses but that certainly is coming very soon.

Somewhat often very tedious is to get into the menus to change some customized features, that's really pain in a**, one of the reasons I keep the nex5R, is love the touch screen,(the nex5n was the best) you can get focus quickly or keep the focus more precise with one click, and more performance in low light, so whern I need to be moving focus point in the nex7 so sometimes takes a long time to reach the target
    and lose a good scene, but you can not have everything, right? clear that improved the AF would be better for my street shooting. :D