1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I did it....My very own blog

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by teefin1, Mar 29, 2013.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I have written a couple of first pieces for 'Nianys' blog - it's not the camera - and thought I would try it myself.

It's very short, as it took an age to set it up.

Have a read if you fancy, and feel free to comment or follow:

Tracy :) The portraitblographer « Its Just You And Me

2. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Nice design. I tried the whole blog thing, but I found it difficult to keep up with that, A-levels, work, writing, films and music. Kudos to you if you can keep your content flow coming!

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Congratulations! Looks good, and I love seeing those photos again. Here's hoping you can find the material to keep it going.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Cool! My blog doesn't get updated nearly as often as it should, but I guess it matches my photography style- spotty. ;)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice work Tracy!!! :thumbup:

6. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Congratulations. Now the challenge - keeping it going. Happy to have some unsolicited advice from a long time (2005) blogger? I'll assume so. Two things:

1. Little and often. Few people can write long posts. Fewer people can write long interesting posts. Hardly anyone can write long interesting posts regularly. So its good to keep posts short and frequent. You can post all kind of things: quotations you have come across, recommendations for books you have read, links to websites or other blogs you like, and, of course, pictures. You can post one or a dozen, tell a story or say nothing. Every once in a while you can intersperse a longer post. It could be on something you have been thinking about or a longer review of a book or an exhibition or a camera.

2. Forget about the numbers. The internet is a place obsessed with numbers - page views, visits, likes, +1s, friends and such. Blogging platform with provide you with more numbers than your brain can cope with if you want them. I made the mistake of starting to look at the numbers (though back in those days it was generally just a matter of page views). My first blog was surprisingly popular so when my next blog failed to achieve the same numbers I wondered what I was doing wrong. It turned out that it was that first blog was the exception - most bloggers have very few readers. That's just the way it is. That, of course, is not a judgement on the quality of your blog. The fact is that there are no end of blogs and websites out there churning out what can be generously described as uninspiring content that get vast numbers of visitors. Better not to worry about how many readers you have or wondering how to get more and concentrate instead on making your blog a reflection of your own particular vision.

Good luck.

PS My current blog is at photographybyolli.blogspot.com. Go ahead and have a look. You'll double my numbers for today:)

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks olli, that is fab advice and looking at your blog. It works very well, good stuff! The challenge will of course be providing enough content, I don't live the wildest existence but I shall try my best. I wouldn't know where/how to check stats, I just like having a little something to focus on and somewhere to post pics :D

8. NexAlpha

NexAlpha New to TalkEmount

May 7, 2013
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Dan
    This thread inspired me to mash together a blog of my own. I'm not sure if I'll ever have anything useful to say in a post so for now it's just got a few pictures :p

Nex-6 and Me | A beginner's failed attempt at photography

Not much customization to be done with a free wordpress account but I tried.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum Dan. :)

10. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Nice, Dan. I keep talk about doing a blog, but somehow I never seem to find the time. Probably wouldn't be very interesting if I updated it maybe once a month or so. ;)

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I sucks that half the blogging sites are blocked in China so it's difficult for me to check them out. :dash2: