1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I can use some hints for Macros with Vivitar 100mm 3.5 1:1 and Sunpak PF20XD please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Aug 31, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi!

So I just got the flash and I am using a Vivitar 100 3.5 Macro with 1:1 adapter.

I am not even sure if I am settings things correctly but those two examples I had the flash sitting on the table facing towards the Coin, and my camera pointing downwards to the coin.
    I used the rear sync option and almost max power setting on the flash. Again, I am clueless at this time

Any tips on how you guys do it, specially when outside taking pics of insects, will be greatly appreciated.

Also about PP, what you guys normally do to bring out those awesome details I see in so many examples around. Of course, l am not even sure how good or bad my lens is to begin with.

Thanks ! :)

Attached Files:

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That lens is ok. Not great for a macro lens but still good.

Macro lightning is quite a large subject. You can start experimenting with diffusers for camera flashes. A very large light surface helps. To reduce shadows the flash has to be on same axle as camera. If you want to light from side you need at least two flashes.

A ring flash is easy solution for scientific type photography. However it produces very dull photos.

With stationary subjects tripod helps quite much. Depth of field is very shallow. Many times a slight cropping is quite good option so aiming for maximum magnification is not a good strategy always.

I am looking for good macro tripod right now.

3. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    See also Flickr: The Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro Pool

The lens also appear as Cosina, Phoenix, Promaster. Very good lightweight Macro lens, a good match to lightweight mirror-less bodies.

At macro focusing range, after stop down some, almost all macro lenses are excellently sharp. The technique is way more important than the typical difference between macro lenses. If you always use tripod or have the perfect technique, only then you'll see subtle difference from much much more expensive macro lenses (Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5, Zeiss 100mm f/2, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L etc)

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  6. sleekdigital

sleekdigital TalkEmount Regular

May 7, 2013
    I just use this flash directly on the hot shoe.

These look very sharp to me, in part because of the harsh light. In some cases that works just fine, but many times you will want some diffusion. I mentioned this one before..

Interfit STR111 Small On Camera Diffuser STR111

7. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
  8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I tried the pf20xd on the hotshoe (I had to pop up the built in flash first or it wont opened with the 20xd in place) and I cannot find a way to make it trigger. Like it only works if the 20xd is able to see my flash face to face or side ways.
    This is using rear sync. Maybe I have wrong settings lol

9. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    You want Fill mode.

10. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Now I feel really dumb :D
    No idea why I didnt get it work before. I was actually using the bult in flash AND the other one as slave because I couldnt figure it out.
    It worked this time so I need to do more tests now :D
    Thanks!

11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Darn it, well new problem. The lens is too long so it blocks the flash partially.

Also, what shutter speed do you use when only shootting with the 20XD flash?

12. sleekdigital

May 7, 2013
    Again.... you need this...

Interfit STR111 Small On Camera Diffuser STR111

It moves the effective light source to the end of your lens and diffuses it. Perfect for macro.

Shutter speed depends on how much ambient light you want to let in. The brighter the ambient light, the more chance there is of getting motion blur and the need for faster shutter speed. But you can't go above 1/250 or so before you start to see obvious banding due to max x-synch on the NEX being 1/160th

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You made me spend whole 8 USD. I just ordered two of them from China.
    Universal Flash Diffuser for All Brand Canon Nikon Pentax s ony Camera D SLR | eBay

Took 25 cheap lens caps too.

14. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Cool so I will slow down from my test 1/500 speed and I did buy that. Left it home sadly but I will try later at home. Now I think I am on the way to getting better macros :D
    Thanks