1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I blame my daughter - Canon FD 100-300 f/5.6

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dbmiller, Mar 13, 2013.

1. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I was going to get some M42 lenses, but when my daughter picked up the Canon FD 28mm f/2.8 at the antique store last week, I started looking at other FD/FL lenses.

I found a Canon FD 100-300 f/5.6 lens that went for cheap on Evil-Bay, which arrived today. Too dark to do much with today.

Thank God I bought the FD/FL adapter that has the tripod mount on the adapter!

Which on the NEX, should be 150-450 because of the crop factor. Now to find either a 2x or 3x adapter for some full sensor moon shots :D

2. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Nice. I have a 500mm mirror that I want to use for moon stuff. But would really like something like this to try too, guessing it will be much better.

Now if spring would just show up, not too keen in sitting in the 20 degree weather playing with setups.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice catch

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    that was a good business, I have a Soligor 200mm f/3.5 and a converter 2x, is very good for shoot to the moon, but you need a tripod to avoid the shake of the lens, as it is very heavy, I use a remote control for these occasions.

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Nice stuff! I was really interested in getting this (there were some cheap ones going on ebay a few weeks ago) but when I read FDreview they said it wasn't terribly useable above 200mm (i.e. soft, vignetting) and I already have an 18-200mm so the added value was worryingly marginal for me - still thinking about a FD 300/4 or 300/4L instead. I'd be very interested in your long tele shots!

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's good to have a scapegoat to blame things on, isn't it? :rofl:

Quite the beast you've harnessed there db, can't wait to see some moon shots. :)

7. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Don't see any vignetting. Need more time to tell if it gets soft

Since the NEX causes a crop factor, I think you lose any soft edges or vignetting. Another quickie from this morning.

Canon FD 100-300 f/5.6, shot @ 300mm, f/5.6, 1/320th, ISO 250

8. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Ordered a 3x converter... f/5.6 becomes f/16, yikes!

Yeah, me too. Took a picture of the sun hiding behind the clouds this morning. Looks like I'll want to get a 3x converter and it still won't fill the frame...

9. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    The 3x adapter arrived yesterday. I discovered three things:

1. The moon is moving pretty damn fast. Not sure if the pics I got were soft because of the lens and/or teleconverter, or slightly blurry because the shutter wasn't fast enough.
    2. With the teleconverter, every single dust spec and hair on the lens or sensor shows up
    3. 3 stops of light loss on an f/5.6 lens is significant

Will try again when the moon is fuller, and hope the temp is warmer.

Canon FD 100-300/5.6 + 3x teleconverter @ 300mm, f/5.6, 1/160th, ISO-400

10. dbmiller

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Posted in Pic-A-Day as well. But here for completeness.

Not sure if it's the adapter, or the lens was designed to focus just past infinity. Very hard to get it right on the nose.

Adjust the lens, wait for the shaking to stop, check focus. Adjust the lens... Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I think I just missed the focus, or the 3x converter loses a lot.

Canon FD 100-300 + Vivitar 3x converter. 300mm (x3 = 900mm), f5.6 (-3 = f/16), 1/320th, ISO-400:

Image is cropped. Fills about half the height of the sensor. May need to hunt down a 500mm lens :) And a sturdier tripod :(

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Sometimes even a sturdy tripod isn't enough. If I ever buy a telescope I'm going to plant about 4 feet of a 6 inch pipe in the ground with about 4 feet sticking above ground and fill the thing with concrete for a mount. If that shakes I'm just going to quit.