I am purchasing the A6600...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The price reduction of the A6600 plus the accessories package offered by Adorama has convinced me to purchase that camera. I will sell my A6500 so the difference in price should be about $500 which will be more than covered by the proceeds from liquidating my Canon gear. I really like the improved focusing system of the A6400 which is shared by the A6600...
I am also seriously considering selling my 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens because I have replaced it with the smaller and lighter 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 lens...

jimmoore

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
Richard
Would be very interested to hear how much of an improvement the 6600 is over the 6500 and in what area’s.
Jim

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My A6400 was an improvement over the A6500 in focusing speed and capabilities. The Eye AF is better. I don't need to access Eye-AF with a separate programmed button - it is there whenever I press the shutter button. I programmed the focus hold button on my 85mm f/1.8 and 70-350mm lenses as AF on. This gives me the capabilities of back button AF with the ease of accessing with the button on the lens. And since I photograph upwards of 100 dogs a year for my rescue group, the Animal Eye-AF is a great feature.
My go-to mid-range zoom for both my full frame and my APSC cameras is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. However, this lens doesn't have stabilization. IBIS is certainly nice when using this lens (not required but, sill nice - especially in lower light situations). The A6600 would give me IBIS plus the great Eye-AF and Animal Eye-AF of the A6400. Best of both worlds.
I would guess that some folks are miffed that they purchased the A6600 and that Sony reduced the price so soon after it was introduced. I sort of feel the same way about the 70-350mm lens which was introduced just a short time ago and has been reduced by $100.
However, I think that the new pricing (if it holds) will make the A6600 and the two new APSC lenses quite a bit more competitive.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
The current pricing is being advertised as a holiday sale and may very well go back up after Christmas.

Get 'em while they're hot. :)

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It appears that the A6600 has touch and shoot capability which I really like when shooting groups of images intended for focus blending. That was one of the few things that I really liked about my Canon 6D Mark-2 camera. I used a stylus to choose my focus points, which enabled me to be quite accurate in the selection.

OTOH, the complaints of many A6400/A6500 reviewers that the lack of touch screen menu capability is a problem; doesn't bother me at all. Probably, it is my age but, I am not at all comfortable using the touchscreen for navigating menus.

As far as the great number of complaints that the Sony menu system is complicated, I disagree, It may be complicated at first but, the combination of "My Menu" and the function button as well as the customization of many buttons, makes navigating the controls very easy. All that I need to do is to do some work at the beginning in customizing the control setup. If I did not put some initial work into customizing the menu and the controls, I will admit that the Sony system would seem very formidable and complicated.

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
As a consideration, the a6100 shares these features with the a6600. As shown, they share the same sensor (24MP APS-C sensor and Sony's latest BIONZ X image processor), AF, and real time tracking. If you are not looking for or require the additional whistles and bells the a6600 brings then the a6100 is a nice alternative that can save you money.
  • 11fps continuous shooting with AE/AF tracking (8fps with electronic shutter)
  • Hybrid AF with 425 phase and 425 contrast detection points, 0.02s focus acquisition time
  • Real Time Tracking AF for stills and video with AI and machine learning technology, minimum sensitivity of -2Ev at f2
  • Real Time Eye AF for humans and animals
  • 4K recording up to 30p and 100Mbps
  • 1080p up to 120fps and 100Mbps
  • Built-in Intervalometer for Time-Lapse shooting
  • 180˚ tilting LCD screen with touch capabilities (including Touch Tracking)
  • Wifi, NFC and Bluetooth connectivity
  • Single SD card slot (UHS-I compliant)

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I agree with Black Elk above... However, IMO, the A6400 is a better value for money than the A6100... The difference in price between these two cameras is very small and, although many of the parameters are in common, the A6400 beats the A6100
1. Magnesium dust and moisture resistant body on A6400 - not on A6100
2. Better viewfinder on A6400 : 2.3 million on A6100 vs 1.44 million on A6100
3. Larger buffer on A6400: 115 JPEG vs 77 JPEG
4. Lack of picture profiles on A6100 (video specific)
5. Shutter auto white balance lock on A6400 (video specific)

Black Elk

TalkEmount Regular
I agree with Black Elk above... However, IMO, the A6400 is a better value for money than the A6100... The difference in price between these two cameras is very small and, although many of the parameters are in common, the A6400 beats the A6100
1. Magnesium dust and moisture resistant body on A6400 - not on A6100
2. Better viewfinder on A6400 : 2.3 million on A6100 vs 1.44 million on A6100
3. Larger buffer on A6400: 115 JPEG vs 77 JPEG
4. Lack of picture profiles on A6100 (video specific)
5. Shutter auto white balance lock on A6400 (video specific)
Excellent points. That is why we have a broad selection of cameras and their features. An a6100 may work great for me but not you. I have an "old" NEX-6 which I love. Great pictures and nice controls. I can never see myself getting a Sony a9 but for others, it meets their needs. :thumbup:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I received the camera and have documented what I really like about it off the bat... See: https://www.talkemount.com/threads/what-i-like-about-the-a6600-better-than-the-a6400.19711/
There is so far nothing that I do not like about it. IMO, it is more competitive since the price reduction and the Adorama package including a very nice Flashpoint hotshoe flash (which is an Adorama branded Godox tt350S) and some other accessories such as an extra battery and charger and a very decent SD card makes it a really nice deal..

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom