1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I am NEX!!!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Khozema, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Khozema

Khozema New to TalkEmount

Dec 3, 2011
    Hello All,

I have recently bought the NEX-3(this forum now started costing me...:D)
    This is my first serious camera and now I am learning RAW processing.

Need your view on bellow images. Which version looks good to you?

taken @ ISO1600, 55mm, f/5.6, 1/8 sec handheld using Kit 18-55mm lens

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/57807682@N03/6440754953/" title="Nex301-00113 by k_nagdi, on Flickr"> 6440754953_5463116c23_z. "640" height="426" alt="Nex301-00113"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/57807682@N03/6440754583/" title="Nex3-00113 by k_nagdi, on Flickr"> 6440754583_84533e02f5_z. "640" height="426" alt="Nex3-00113"></a>

2. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Leaving aside the colour or B/W choice, the first pic has slightly lower contrast so it has a much better spread of tones,...this in turn has meant that the highlight areas such as the textured foreground have retained more detail/tone and this looks much preferable to me.

Personally (and it is just a personal preferance) I dislike shallow depth of field so if the aperture had been f8 or f11 depth of field would have been greater and more of the subject sharp,...also placing point of focus further back on the subject would have helped too.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Welcome, Khozema. I prefer the color version :).

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hi and welcome Khozema

I also prefer the colored version.

However as far as images go, I usually prefer b&w photos but there some things that cannot be simply expressed in b&w and will look better in color, this will be subjective from one person to another, some will prefer color, some will prefer b&w, some will prefer high contrast, some will prefer low, what is really important is what do you prefer? Some will love your photos and some will hate them. Being happy with the photos we have taken is one of the most important things as it is either our way of expressing our vision or representing an image as seen through our eyes, not to mention we are most likely the ones who will be most likely be the ones looking at it the most.

Of course all of this is just in my humble opinion.

I forgot to mention, I liked the slight vignetting effect you have applied on the 1st photo

5. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    Welcome!
    I prefer the colored version too...
    In the not-colored version, the shadows are without details, becuse in my opinion there's too much contrast...
    Speaking of the shooting, I don't like the above cut...

Greetings...

Excuse for the off-topic... what is the word you use for refering at the image boundaries determined by the camera position and distance? Frame? Shooting? In spanish, it is "encuadre", but I've looked for it in an online translator and I didn't find the correct word...
    Thanks!

6. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    I prefer BW version.
    I find interesting that you succeded in pulling contrast based on tonality (for example the green leaf).
    Also the texture of the front flower benefits from the conversion.
    I do agree with jfazer on the framing of the picture, not so interesting.

7. jfazer

jfazer TalkEmount Regular

Dec 1, 2011
    Spain
    mmm, reading your comment, I think the word I was looking for is "framing", so thank you!