I <3 sony Thru and Thru... But....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by unlo, Feb 12, 2015.

1. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I &lt;3 sony Thru and Thru... But....

I literally want to pull fistfuls of hair out and scream.

So I haven't really played with too many of the Play memory apps in quite some time (remembering now why).
    The last time I tried to do Anything with them it was after a firmware update. And there was an update for the TimeLapse app. Sweet I think to myself, Click update. and get some error code. It was a long time ago so forgive me not remembering the code. But anyways after poking around online someone mentioned to uninstall the app and just re-install. OK I thought why not try that. Uninstall. Re-install... wait... whats this... you want me to pay 10$ AGAIN!? Insanity. Being that @ the time I had no other alternative for taking time lapse.. I swallowed it and paid the 10$ again (regretting that even more fully now). I think it left such a bad taste in my mouth that i ordered what i needed to not rely on that app anymore. To make an even longer story short...

Fast forward to today. I wanted to do some comparisons between the quality of imported images using the PlayMemories app either by "View on Smartphone" or "Smart Remote control app", and importing using my OTG cable and SD card reader an RawDroidPRO on my android tablet.

After taking a few shots like normal I decided to fire up the Smart Remote app and take another shot. First try, fail disconnects with error "...:NEX -5R" is no response from the internet. "Nex-5r" will be disconnected. Like i don't' even get a chance to change a setting and it disconnects/reconnects on its own. This happens about 5 times before it dawns on me I've had this issue before. So i go into network settings. and manually select my access point here at work. it doesn't seem to make any difference still getting disconnected. So I decide i'll give uninstall - re install a go. After 3 failed attempts at the sonyentertainment website of trying to log in b/c of some weird server Maintenance error mostly in Japanese i finally am able to log in and verify my password before i try the tedious process of logging in on my damn camera. Before i even get to that screen tho my camera seems to freeze up. So I try a powercycle on the camera.... (this is where it gets good) I switch my camera into off position. Screen stays on. I can still see on the screen the image i was about to take. (weird i think) wait a few seconds.. it's not turning off... i can wave my hand in front and still see it on the screen. Turn on Turn off... No change. (i have video of this) finally after 3 or 4 tries it does turn off.

Eventually I make it into the playmemories app to try and re-download smart remote control. every time i do i'm presented with Error # 902 application will now close. Literally every time it does this, it tries to reconnect, fails at finding the access point, I re-manually select it in network settings I Re-log in and IT RE-ERRORS OUT!

I'm beyond fed up. :mad::mad::dash2::dash2::dash2::protest_emoticon::protest_emoticon::protest_emoticon::protest_emoticon:

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    You shouldn't have to pay money once you buy the app. It works just like your phone apps. I have had 4 Sony cameras. One I had issues with and had to return. I was able to load my apps on each just by entering the same username and password before downloading. I also forgot my password and all I had to do was click forgot password and they emailed it to me.

The other issues? Can't help you there. I would be annoyed too.

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yup, that sounds frustrating indeed :D

4. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt

oh i'm aware. i waited on hold for idk 40 something minutes when it happend and just gave up and paid the 10 bucks. (again) that was also the day i swore off the apps ... of course until today.

• Like Like x 1