1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

hypothetical lens lineup

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bimjo, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ok, assume you're going to build a lineup of manual focus rangefinder lenses to use with your NEX.

Which focal length lineup would you pick?

Feel free to substitute a focal length, just explain why you'd pick that one over one listed.

I'm more interested in focal lengths than max aperture, so don't exclude a focal length strictly on speed. ;)

2. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I'd choose the 15, 25, 35, 50, 75

Not because I specifically like these focal lengths, but because I do not have much experience in using wides and just have recently been trying them out. I have always used a 35 or a 50 and the very first time I have used anything wider than a 35 was when I recieved the pancake kit lens on my NEX 5. I reckon if I was going to learn to shoot wide, maybe it's better to give a bit of leeway in regards to focal length so I can learn to appreciate the focals that's in between, I previously had 45mm f2 rokkor in the past, and having used a 35 or a 50 exclusively I have learned to appreciate and use a 40mm, it's for those times when a 35 is just too wide and a 50 is just too tight. IMHO

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm up in the air myself. I tend to shoot wider lenses and maybe the jump from 15 to 25 is too much, but that is a nice progression. Then again 28 is useful too. I love to play what if. :p

Of course I have none of these lenses yet, but I can dream. ;)

4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Since the 6 adapted LTM lenses I own are 28/35/50/85/100/135, I choose those :)

If I were going to add another LTM lens, it would probably be the 12mm 5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar by Voigtlander. Although I might consider the 15mm, instead. I should have bought a new chrome LTM 12mm for $560 when I had the chance.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Interesting lineup db. I'd be inclined to go with the 12 & stop @ 75/85, but like I said, I tend to shoot wide. :)

6. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Frankly, it's a bit pointless to think about lenses like this,...the least that can happen is that you will 'collect' lenses until you have the 'complete set', and finish up with lenses you don't use or worse, forcing yourself to use a particular lens because you have become infatuated with owning it.....

.......Lenses are just tools for a purpose and the best way to work out what you personally need is to put the kit zoom on the camera for a few days/weeks and then look at the exif files and note how many images you made at which zoom settings,...also, analyse what happens when you are shooting favourite subjects and note your instinctive likes for angle of view. In this way you can spend your money on exactly where you need to have good lenses, rather than this 'full set of chisels' approach.

7. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Good points. I keep thinking, do I want to save up and get both the 12 and 15, along with the 24 Zeiss? Add those to the Sigma's and the LTM lenses, and I'd be looking at 12/15/19/24/28/35/50/85/100/135 - Not a bad progression. But is it really needed? Sure seems like overkill to me.

Having a wider lens to put on the old IVSB would be nice - Certainly don't have to worry much about focus - Hyperfocal @f8 and down, and pretty much everything is in focus with either the 12 or 15. The 12 would be much wider than the 19 Sigma or the 28 LTM. The 15 would be a smaller gap as far as the LTM lenses go, but is much closer to the 19 Sigma.

I think I'll wait and see what Photokina brings. If a really good ultra-wide zoom comes out, I'd be tempted to get that instead. 16-50G? Would rather see 10-22, but you never know until the official announcement.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good point, though not limited to primes. I found with my Pentax gear I had to have all the zooms- 10-17 FE, 10-20, 17-50, 28-75, 18-250 & 70-200. Huh, missed the 8-16 somehow. I did use them all, but it was a constant battle with myself to choose which lens(es) to take out for a shoot. I sold most of it (kept the FE/28-75/70-200) to buy the NEX and haven't looked back.

Honestly, if Sony brings out a decent UWA (10-?) zoom I'd be happy. I will probably pick up a CV 15 just because I want one. I've already got fast legacy 24/55/85 covered. The only reason to replace them would be to save size/weight.

The poll was just a bit of fun for a slow day. A bit of "if you could…" :)