1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hyperfocal distance

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by claude, May 17, 2013.

1. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    I have no theory savvy for photography while there is quite a few who have the savvy on this forum. Just looking for a simple answer. With adapted lens and their adapter would the hyperfocal distance be closer or further than stated on the DOF site. I've searched the forum but could not find an answer.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

Claude

2. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    It depends on the particular hyperfocal calculator you are using. I know that Online Depth of Field Calculator automatically adjusts for the sensor size (as it relates to the 35mm equl focal length of the lens) in their calculations. I don't think that using an adapter changes the equation either way. What might change is if the adapter you are using doesn't allow infinity focus. But with the 18mm registration distance on the NEX that should be an issue, unless you have a poorly made adapter.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It does change because of the different sensor size. According to the DOFMaster app a 50mm lens @ f/8 on a FF camera the hyperfocal distance is 34.3 feet. Same lens/settings on a APS-C camera the hyperfocal distance is 51.4 feet.

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, sensor size changes the results. But also keep in mind that infinity focus can also be reached when focusing closer. For example: The hyperfocal distance for a certain lens at a certain aperture on a NEX camera is 50 meters. This means that when you focus to infinity, everything from 50m away to infinity will be in focus. But if you focus instead somewhere around a 40m distance, everything from 35 meters to infinity will be in focus.

If you want to get the absolutely deepest depth of field, it's best to use a calculator that shows you both the front- and the back distance of the in focus plane. I use 'field tools' for this matter, a free iPhone app (I suppose it's also available for other platforms).

5. claude

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks for the replies. I've always used DOFMaster. I realize that sensor size made a difference but I was wondering if those distances were for emount lens but the adapted lens might be different because the lens is further away from the sensor because of the adapter.

6. Lonnie Utah

Lonnie Utah TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 29, 2013
    That wasn't the point I was trying to make. No matter what 50mm lens you put on a camera with an APS-C sized sensor, it's still going to have the same hyperfocal distances because the equation you use to calculate hyperfocal distance doesn't change with the individual lens. So long as you plug the right settings into the calculator it doesn't matter if your lens is a native E-mount or a manually adapted lens, if it's the same focal length at the same f/stop then, it's going to have the same hyperfocal numbers. That was the question that the OP was asking.

Obviously, it will change when you change sensor size. But, that wasn't what the OP was asking, and DOF master automatically adjusts for that.

7. claude

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks Poki. Was typing while you were posting. Slow typer.

8. claude

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Thanks Lonnie. I think you gave me the answer.

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Good catch, I misread the question. Sorry claude if I mislead you. :)

10. claude

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    No problem Jim. I always enjoy your posts. I probably wasn't explaining myself correctly.