1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HVLF20S Flash or Separate Flash/Speedlight with Hotshoe Adapter or Remote Trigger?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mkstewartesq, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mkstewartesq

mkstewartesq New to TalkEmount

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi, all:

I purchased a Nex-5R in November and quickly decided I needed more flash options (e.g., bounce) than just the kit flash. Thinking my only other option was the HVLF20S Flash, I purchased this item from Amazon and have until the end of January to return it if necessary, pending any input from you all.

Because of budget and other reasons, i purchased the Nex-5R over the Nex-6 or NEX-7, but am starting to get a little tense that I may have unduly limited myself by buying a camera without a standard hotshoe. I don't love using a flash in my photography but recognize I will have need of it in various scenarios. However, purchasing the proprietary HVLF20S Flash has me worried that I have bought an expensive toy limited to the NEX line when I should have been looking at more "standard" equipment that may provide better results and flexibility, with the added benefit of being portable to other cameras should I upgrade to a non-NEX camera in the future.

After reviewing the threads here, I've become aware of various hotshoe adapters and remote strobe/flash triggers available for the Smart accessory port. Any of these, when purchased with a small budget standard strobe flash, will be equivalent or less in total cost than the $120 or so I paid for the HVLF20S Flash. My question is - should I return the HVLF20S and go instead with an adapter/trigger and a more "standard" strobe flash?

As far as types of photos I take(as I know that's always an important consideration for advice) - I'm just a beginner, and most of my shots are landscapes, architecture, street photography and beginners' attempts at "artsy" stuff (LOL). But I'd like to eventually expand into other areas as I get better.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. :)

I also seldom use flash so don't miss the standard flash shoe. If I were to feel the need, I would get the MSA-10 NEX flash adapter rather than the HVLF20S because:

1) the HVLF20S is proprietary to the 5 series NEX bodies

2) the HVLF20S is fairly expensive considering #1

3) with the MSA-10 you can use a wide variety of flashes, including

4) wireless triggers for off-camera flash (great for studio work)

ymmv of course ;)

3. mkstewartesq

mkstewartesq New to TalkEmount

Jan 11, 2013
    Bimjo:

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Best,
    Mike