HVLF20S Flash or Separate Flash/Speedlight with Hotshoe Adapter or Remote Trigger?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mkstewartesq, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mkstewartesq

mkstewartesq New to TalkEmount

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi, all:

I purchased a Nex-5R in November and quickly decided I needed more flash options (e.g., bounce) than just the kit flash. Thinking my only other option was the HVLF20S Flash, I purchased this item from Amazon and have until the end of January to return it if necessary, pending any input from you all.

Because of budget and other reasons, i purchased the Nex-5R over the Nex-6 or NEX-7, but am starting to get a little tense that I may have unduly limited myself by buying a camera without a standard hotshoe. I don't love using a flash in my photography but recognize I will have need of it in various scenarios. However, purchasing the proprietary HVLF20S Flash has me worried that I have bought an expensive toy limited to the NEX line when I should have been looking at more "standard" equipment that may provide better results and flexibility, with the added benefit of being portable to other cameras should I upgrade to a non-NEX camera in the future.

After reviewing the threads here, I've become aware of various hotshoe adapters and remote strobe/flash triggers available for the Smart accessory port. Any of these, when purchased with a small budget standard strobe flash, will be equivalent or less in total cost than the $120 or so I paid for the HVLF20S Flash. My question is - should I return the HVLF20S and go instead with an adapter/trigger and a more "standard" strobe flash?

As far as types of photos I take(as I know that's always an important consideration for advice) - I'm just a beginner, and most of my shots are landscapes, architecture, street photography and beginners' attempts at "artsy" stuff (LOL). But I'd like to eventually expand into other areas as I get better.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. :) 

I also seldom use flash so don't miss the standard flash shoe. If I were to feel the need, I would get the MSA-10 NEX flash adapter rather than the HVLF20S because:

1) the HVLF20S is proprietary to the 5 series NEX bodies

2) the HVLF20S is fairly expensive considering #1

3) with the MSA-10 you can use a wide variety of flashes, including

4) wireless triggers for off-camera flash (great for studio work)

ymmv of course ;) 

3. mkstewartesq

mkstewartesq New to TalkEmount

Jan 11, 2013
    Bimjo:

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Best,
    Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.