HVL-F20M with Legacy lenses...does TTL work with manual lenses?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shaolin95, Jul 26, 2014.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I have been trying to figure this out as in some places I read that TTL reads the camera settings for Aperture and Shutter etc which of course a manual lens wont give that aperture reading. But then in other places I read it just "sees" through the lens so it still works with manual lenses.
    Basically I want to get a better flash than the built in one to get rid, hopefully, of dark areas on the face when taking pictures outside. I am trying to find a very portable reflector too to help with that but havent found one that sits low on the ground with its own simple stand so I dont need someone else helping me.
    I feel that after getting many lenses, a flash is where I must focus now since after all, its all about the light..or so they say :D

So I thought about the F20M even though the 43 looks so much more advanced...but expensive.
    Thanks!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, TTL has nothing to do with which lens you use. It just uses the in camera metering, which works no matter whether it knows the settings or not.

Also, might I point you to the Nissin i40? Cheaper and much smaller and lighter than the HVL-F43M and much more powerful and advanced than the F20M.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh that Nissin sounds VERY interesting so I guess I better wait since it is not out yet for the NEX if I read correctly. Thanks for the info!

4. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    The Nissin i40 should be released in the states in August
    Also check out the new MIS compatible flashes from Metz, the 44 & the 52. They should hit the states in August too.

Of course, Photokina is in September. New gear should get announced there too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Hey shaolin, I have been getting great results with a little metz TTL (old sony style with new hotshoe adapter) and this ring thing (waiting on NIssin i40 too though!)

Works with old manual lenses (these are zeiss 55mm shots though)

Its nice and light weight wise and gets nice results for a run and gun setup

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metz-24-AF1-Digital-Flashgun-Sony/dp/B00456V8R4/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407173290&sr=1-4&keywords=metz+sony

and this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111207021192?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and the results on A7r, very little work in post, lovely even beauty light :)

14720949133_717515f389_h. Morgan Lawless by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

14700898162_f5e67d62f0_h. Latyoha Bloomer by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

14514297049_dbe2191076_h. Rebecca Todd by Mathieu Decodts, on Flickr

Amin please change to affiliate links if you can!

• Like Like x 4
  6. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent results!
    That is exactly the kind of setup I want something quick to get going. :)

7. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    its hilariously easy, point and shoot, looks crazy in use though!

It is like holding your hand inside a snare drum and pointing it at a model, but for 100quid (50 for flash, 20 for adapter and 30 for modifier) it was an excellent investment, for me anyway :)

8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    hahaah so true, that is the look I pictured in my mind but whatever gets the job done when I dont to carry stand and stuffs makes me happy :D
    I have been looking into some cheapo self floor standing reflector too which could be useful maybe but not so sure. That will be an addition not instead of the flash of course.

9. Rollin

Rollin TalkEmount Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Thanks for tip that Metz has theirs coming for the MIS - I hear the quality of light from their units is very good. Another option that has a battery level indicator is the Phottix Mitros which is coming soon with MIS

• Like Like x 1