1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HVL-43M manual trigger off camera?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by loonsailor, Jan 17, 2014.

1. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I just got a Sony HVL-43M flash, to use with my NEX-6. Though I usually use manual flashes, I'm about to go on a trip where I'll want to use it sometimes on the camera in TTL. The TTL mode works fine, and it's a handsome little unit. But, I can't get the thing to work off-camera at all! I've tried it in manual and wireless modes, tried to trigger it optically from the NEX built-in flash or on my radio trigger (a simple phottix "manual" trigger), but I can't get the flash to trigger off-camera at all. I know that the NEX-6 won't do the magic Sony wireless TTL flash thing, and I can live with that. But, is it possible that this flash won't trigger at all unless it's either on a Sony camera with a multi-sync shoe, or with the full Sony wireless flash protocol? Could it possible be that lame? Or am I missing something obvious?

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    To trigger a flash in WL (TTL or manual) you need a trigger flash of course sold separately.

It can be either of: HVL-F20M, F43M ( the one you have) or F60M. OR using ADP-MAA adapter, HVL-F20AM HVL-F43AM or HVL-F58AM but if you don't have any Alpha mount SLR/SLT, i would keep away from this option.

The flash you have right now could trigger all WL capable Sony flashes ( HVL-F36AM, F42AM, F43AM, F56AM, F58AM F60AM, F43M or F60M or Minolta 3600HSD or 5600HSD)

The most economical way for you right now would be to add a HVL-F20M ( or F20AM with ADP-MAA adapter) since these 2 are very compact and are also capable of triggering in WL all of the above flashes

For more in depth info, see Here: http://mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp.php
    Once there navigate to the different WL flash chapters to better understand and to the last item about Multi interface shoe

3. loonsailor

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    So, then, is it true that this flash can't be triggered as a manual flash by a standard hot shoe, or by a simple optical trigger? That seems to be the case, but it just seems so weird.

4. loonsailor

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    Well, to answer my own question, it really doesn't seem to be triggerable from anything but a sony MSS shoe, or a sony wireless flash controller (which the built-in flash on a NEX-6 isn't). It won't trigger as a manual flash optically, or in a standard hot shoe on my radio trigger or Nikon. This one's getting returned, I'm afraid.

Next question - do any third parties make a Sony system flash that will fit the new MSS shoe without an adapter? Metz doesn't seem to, yet.