1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Huge disadvantages of mirrorless

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Imasphere, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    I am now a member of the photo club at my work place. Last week we had a guess photographer doing a conference on depth of field. He had asked us to bring our cameras and toldus to do an exercise during the conference. He wanted us to observe differences in DOF through the DOF preview button on DSLR cameras. Now of course on my NEX6 there is no DOF preview button since what you see in the viewfinder is the actual live view. So I was left to frame shots where I actually saw what I was getting. I mean how boring is that. In contrast the others in the group were getting a darkened deep DOF image to compose with. It just leaves so much more to the imagination. ;-)

• Like Like x 10
  2. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, I'll choose EVF over OVF any day.

I also love being able to compose a photo in black and white, something else a DSLR can't do.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It really is nice.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :biggrin:

5. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    There there, everything will be ok. :D

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    With native lenses that communicate with the camera electronically, it should still meter with apertures wide open, and stop down when you trigger the shutter. So, what you see is NOT what you get in terms of DoF. There's a function called "Aperture Preview" which will allow you to stop down the aperture.

Of course, when you're adapting lenses, the camera will have to do stop-down-metering. What you see IS what you get in terms of DoF. Since I'm mostly using adapted lenses, this is the mode I'm using the most.

Independently, there's a setting called "Live View Display Setting Effect", which determines whether the live view compensates for low light. If ON, what you see is NOT what you get in terms of metering. If OFF, you can assign a key to do "Shot Result Preview".

The advantage/disadvantage is, we have choices. When the 90mm/2.8 macro lenses is out, more people will realize they need "DoF Preview".