Huge 9" Sycamore Leaf in perfect condition, in the branches of a small Red Cedar tree

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Nov 24, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Canon FDn 100/4.0 Macro Lens, NEX-7, Daylight WB, ISO100, AP Mode, F8, 1/6

• Like Like x 10
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice shot. I have about 200 pounds of those if you'd like some more practice shooting sycamore leaves. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I think I'll just get a root canal instead !

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Lovely photo for sure! Great colors

• Like Like x 1
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I'll see Jim's offer and raise you about 3 metric tons of Maple, Sweetgum, and Pear leaves. The trees look great during the year, especially Autumn, but they get their payback!

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    LOL...yes, they're gorgeous in the fall...but come with a price.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    We have a 150 yr old silver leaf maple that is STILL dropping a month after it started. My husband goes out and blows the leaves to the curb, and the next morning is a whole new blanket of leaves in our yard. I think the tree does it on purpose just to watch him for entertainment.

• Like Like x 4
  8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    FYI...there is what appears to be a very high quality site emerging called "LeafSnap"...also has Apps for mobile devices.
    I assume the database will continue to grow, but it’s already got a good set of foliage with excellent color photos of the various stages of growth associated with each type.

Thought it was interesting that the very version of the Sycamore shown in ”Leafsnap” is the one called the “Sycamore Maple”…and NC is listed as one of the states it’s common to. (I had originally thought the leaf was a Maple, but then learned it was a Sycamore Maple)

Click the link then wait and watch as it steps through the items associated with that particular tree.
    http://leafsnap.com/species/Acer pseudoplatanus/

< snip >

• Like Like x 1
  9. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I've never seen Sycamore Maple around here. I use the Va Tech dendrology app when I want to look up something. Just remember, the leaves on a Sycamore Maple are opposite like other Maples, and the leaves on a Sycamore are alternate.

Yes, I am an amateur tree nerd. :D

Tony

• Like Like x 1
  10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm not following...don't know what that means?

11. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Sorry. If you look at where the leaves attach to a stem, they can be in many different arrangements. Maple leaves attach to the stem directly opposite of each other; Sycamores attach to the stem one to the left, one to the right, but not directly across from each other. Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the linked page to see a photo explanation. Sorry for the geek talk - it's just something that's always interested me.

Tony

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/termlf1.htm

• Like Like x 1
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    OK, Thanks

There seems to be a tremendous amount of similarity between the "Sycamore Maple" and what I see as a typical Maple...even typing Maple Leaf into Google Images rings up a leaf that looks exactly like mine.

I find these little photography related tangents very interesting

13. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Placement on the branch - The Sycamore leaves are placed directly opposite one another (on each side of the branch). On the Sycamore, they alternate on their way up the branch.

Sorry - Just saw they already answered you :)

• Like Like x 1