HSS with Nissin and studio lights.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by adwb, Jul 13, 2016.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    In a burst of mad enthusiasm I bought the Nisin air commander and receiver and I can use the Nissan air commander and the Air R receiver to trigger my studio flashes or any of the speed lights I own in manual mode regardless of brand.

What will not work however, which is what I want, is to get the HSS working ,. It works in that I can dial in shutter speeds in excess of 1/250 and the flash does fire but it is not recorded

I have tested at all power ranges from full to as low as can be set and two different brand of studio mono blocks , bowens, and cheap no name chinese brand. My yn560 flashes all work finat 1/250 or less but not above.as well.

it obviously is a flash duration thing but I don't understand why, and yes I understand the sync speed limitations and the true hss gives multiple flashes, so I assume the flash duration on the flashes tested is just to short.

If that's the case then I either need another light, just one to work outdoors, or they go back to Amazon.

2. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Mad bursts of enthusiasm have ruined many good men.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Your support and kind consideration is greatly valued O wise one.

4. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Whisper carried with the wind: goooodooooooxxx :D

5. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Which one ? They all seem to come with their own transmitters?

6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Mostly kidding. I don't think youll get any advantage if you don't get both flash and trigger from Godox but the X1 trigger should give you hss with their new line of flashes including their studio strobes.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    It sounds like you have a misunderstanding about how HSS works. In order to have effective Sony HSS off camera you need both a Sony HSS capable trigger/receiver AND a Sony HSS capable flash. I cant speak for your studio strobes but the YN560s are NOT HSS capable. Speedlights that ARE and should work off camera with the Nissin Air Commander/receiver include Nissin i40, Di700a, i60a, Godox V860iis, TT685s and the Sony HVL series.

• Informative Informative x 2