1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

HSS with A6000 and Alienbee

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by crashwins, Aug 3, 2015.

1. crashwins

crashwins TalkEmount Regular

Jul 17, 2014
    So, with my Yongnuo YN-622 receiver I just run the sync cable from the shoemount trigger to my AB1600 directly (not wirelessly) and I can sync upwards of 1/2000 with my 6D. Tried this with my A6000 and nothing. Major suckage as I really want to dump my Canon stuff and go all-in Sony. With the 6D I just enable HSS, but I don't see any option for this in my A6000. Am I missing something? Thanks a lot!

2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Because your YN-622 is for canon, if used on A6000, it can only work in manual mode with no HSS.

3. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    There are HSS triggers for Sony but your options are limited. Odin and Pixel Kings are the only ones I know of. Nissin just released a new system but I believe it is proprietary to their strobes.

4. crashwins

Jul 17, 2014
    Ah, sorry. Didn't see the update here. Thanks for chiming in. Indeed, I understand the contacts for Sony aren't present with the YN-622. I guess all I'd need is a single trigger that supports HSS for Sony and I can sync cord to the strobe. Are there any out there; how is it possible nothing for Sony has come out yet?

5. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Check out my earlier post for three HSS options. Sony has their own line of HSS & TTL flashes (just like Nikon and Canon) the difference is more 3rd parties have reverse engineered the Canikon systems and therefore can make compatible triggers & flashes. Canikon also has a bigger user base so there is more incentive to support them. The only 1st party wireless flash system I am aware of is the Canon RT system.

6. crashwins

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks. Appreciate the help. I see now that the Odin receiver/transceiver can handle HSS. Whew. I can use my YN-622s for all the basic stuff - and they're super reliable - but now I'm wondering if a single Odin on top of my A6K with sync cord attached to the AB1600 will get me HSS speeds like with my 6D and the YNs.

7. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    When you mention AB1600, do you mean AlienBees B1600 ?

How could you enable HSS on Canon with these ?

These flash units don't seem to be able to provide any such capability

If you were able to use them in some form of HSS mode on Canon, i would be curious to know how

8. crashwins

Jul 17, 2014
    Yes. Alienbees. I describe exactly how I do this above. The Einstein and AB1600 can do this. Not the 800 or lower.