Howdy from Houston, Texas

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by cooltouch, Dec 17, 2014.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2014
    I bought a NEX 7 a couple months ago, but because I bought it during a move to a new house, I'm only now getting to know it. I thought I'd seek out a forum so I'd have a ready source of info and a place where I can ask questions when I seem to have gotten stuck.

Mostly the reason why I bought my NEX was so I could use my legacy glass with it, especially my Canon FD lenses. I have an EOS DSLR, but using FD lenses on an EOS is problematic. I can use most other mounts with adapters, on my EOS though, just not FD.

At first, I planned on buying an A7r, but then I found out it has an abysmally slow frame rate and that it blacks out between frames. This later trait was a deal breaker for me. I really wanted FF, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for Sony to improve the Alpha frame rate before jumping in. In the mean time, for that FF look, I guess I can try a Lens Turbo or Metabones.

I'm still struggling with the learning curve on my NEX 7. One of the biggest problems I've noticed is my image output is quite a bit softer in sharpness than what I see in the viewfinder. With my Canon, I can set sharpness and contrast inside the camera and also in the software that comes with the camera. But the NEX doesn't seem to have any onboard sharpness/contrast control, which I guess means it is handled entirely in post. Yes? This is something I need to play with some more because, as things stand right now, I'm not really happy with this camera's image output.
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

Hope you come to enjoy your NEX 7
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Welcome Michael. I think you'll find a few folks here who will be able to answer your questions about the NEX-7 (I'm not among them :frown: ), but you may have better luck if you start another thread with some part of your question(s) in the title.

Here's hoping we get to see some photos from you soon.
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012

On the Nex-6 you can adjust sharpness, contrast and saturation. Go to "Creative Style", choose "option" and there you have it :) Perhaps the same on the Nex-7?
    Sharpness and contrast are also lens dependant, no?