1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How you deal with photo 'zealots'?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by erd, Jun 30, 2016.

1. erd

erd TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    Erik Doree
    So recently I had a associate who is a fan of another major camera brand essentially say that my a6000 is nothing more than a glorified point and shoot and his camera has a superior sensor.....Now taking the dimensions of that sensor it's .2mm wider than the A6000 (both APS-C)

To me this is a Coke v Pepsi, Mac v PC, Sega v Nintendo type argument but at the same time the photos he looked at that were shot with my camera he noted were inferior and had they been taken on his platform of choice they would have been a much better picture.

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    IMO, the closing statement would make it easy:
    Ignore him
    You'll never get that kind of a personality disorder to accept other's viewpoints.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Tell him his ignorance is showing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I'd just find more open minded people to associate with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Fergus

Fergus TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 14, 2016
    I read that Alain Briot used to work for months/years chasing the light with his 4x5 film to make very beautiful and sale-able photos. But people would ask 'you must use lots of photoshop' (or similar).

Eventually he worked out the correct answer to these people is always "yes" (regardless of reality).

I have paraphrased greatly but the effect is correct. If you just say 'yes' then they are happy (and might buy something)... and you have not wasted your emotional energy.

In my prior career, the boss taught me 'never teach a pig to sing' (you just annoy the pig, and achieve nothing). Same as Alain effectively?

Cheers...
    Fergus

• Like Like x 2
  6. erd

erd TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    Erik Doree
    I sadly have to work with him.

7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Just keep shooting and work up the best portfolio you can and maybe play dumb around him. If this guy can't shut up about the technical superiority of his sensor, I somehow very much doubt his photographic output will have the kind of soul I like to see.

Alternately, you could get the new Hassleblad. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I am actually a little curious as to what this brand is. I know that Canon's APS-C sensor is notably smaller than the rest of the APS-C herd (1.6 crop factor as opposed to 1.5 and I've settled on it in spite of that...)
    Not that it really matters - I also use full frame but usually manage to not be a big snob about that.

9. erd

erd TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    Erik Doree
    So his camera in question was a Nikon D200; now taking the raw specs as I read them

Nikon D200 sensor size 23.7 mm Γ— 15.6 mm Nikon DX format, aka APS-C

Sony a6000 sensor size 23.5 x 15.6mm (APS-C type)

So that .2mm size in his mind seems to be the difference between a point and shoot and a pro camera.

It might also be he can't wrap his head around a mirrorless camera?

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Ask him what he thinks is a good way to compare both camera systems and set up a comparative test. If he's right and the pictures are better with the other system, you have to figure out why and maybe improve your technique/switch systems/whatever. Or the difference is irrelevant to you and you just carry on, case closed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    β€œIt is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows.”
    ― Epictetus

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I get this all the time...
    I prefer not to bother with those people and as another member suggested say "yes" to satisfy their ignorance

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    He's obviously compensating for feeling inadequate. Such people find the need to behave this way to show how superior they actually are. Usually starts from father issues.
    They are grossly annoying. But tell them what they want to hear, you can make him roll over and sit up like training a dog. :D

Minimum effort response is all he warrants. I love David's idea! LOL! But first make sure you ask him for his expert view about DXO in public, say, in front of others during lunch or meeting. After he assumingly gives his thumbs up to DXO, hand over a printout of the above info including the URL. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    At some point when someone is completely entrenched like this, it is better to simply move on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    How do I deal with photo zealots? By becoming a BIGGER ZEALOT then them.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I've always asked a simple question- "Are you going to fund me replacing my equipment with your 'superior' equipment? If you aren't, then STFU."

Then again, I have been known to be lewd, rude, crude and socially unacceptable at times. :daz:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Some people seem to think there is something about a larger camera that somehow suggests it takes better pictures. Now I know that's not true and don't stand by that at all, but back in my m43 days when I was using the likes of the EM5 Mk2, an excellent camera in every way and very compact, people would sort of ask when I was going to "upgrade" to APS-C or FF, I told them I was quite happy with what I had as I preferred the smaller compact nature of the m43 and the IQ was excellent. I could tell they weren't convinced, "as how could something so "small" be as good as something bigger?"
    The A6000 falls into the same category, small and compact doesn't mean compromised performance, maybe the Nikon owner thinks is Camera looks more pro therefore it must be better.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I use everything I can get my hands on. Anybody who touts one system as superior to another or gets all defensive when it comes to discussing alternative gear is no photographer! Reminds me of a forum based around a certain aspect ratio! :rolleyes::p:D

• Like Like x 3
  20. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    "It's not the size of the sensor, it's what you do with it."

I've seen gorgeous photos with m4/3 equipment, and I've seen awful photos with full frame. Having nice equipment doesn't make you a better photographer. Better photographers also don't brag about the size of their sensor; if anything, they'll brag about their images. Don't play his game.

• Like Like x 5