1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How To Use Leading Lines For Better Compositions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't take any rule too serious. Did you ever read a photography book? The first chapters are always rule of thirds, leading lines, natural framing, ...

Of course you have to know these rules, and sometimes they can help giving you a better composition. But seriously, you will only be able to shoot great pictures if you trust your intuition.

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I tend to view it like learning a sport.

Learn the fundamentals until they are second nature, then play free and break them.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I don't take it as rude at all :smile:
    That being said, the intent of this post was to have a break-away from the myriad of gear posts that dominate most forums :smile:

4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    So that's what they call those things! ;)

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The thing is it's much easier to argue about gear. Because when you start arguing about other things, I will come and say they are not important. ;)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    They are great as a rule for 90% of the images you take. But sometimes, the rules just don't work.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    For most people it is important to know the "rules" before you can successfully break them to produce an acceptable result. Otherwise they produce pics with no discernible subject or focus. And we've all seen a ton of those from beginner/casual photographers. ;)

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I think that we sometimes overestimate the knowledge of beginners.
    Case in point, last night, I went to one my local group's monthly meeting. A person was asking some of the most basic questions about DOF...Thankfully, no one mocked this person and rather helped generally increasing their base photographic knowledge set :smile: