How to use DMF?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by addieleman, May 11, 2013.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm looking at a more effective way to use DMF (Direct manual focus) on my NEX-6. As far as I know now, I can adjust focus in DMF mode but I have to hold the shutter button half-pressed after the adjustment, and then the camera is showing me an enlarged view continuously,

I'd like to be able to release the shutter button after adjusting focus, getting the full view and leave the focus unaltered when I press the shutter button again. Is there a way to do that?

2. porchard

porchard TalkEmount Rookie

May 8, 2013
    I have to say that I didn't get along with DMF (on the RX100, which I presume is a similar implementation to that on the NEX-6), but I've started using a method suggested to me by a member of Serious Compacts in this thread (scroll to post #6). I guess (possibly incorrectly) that the NEX-6 can be set up in the same way.

I'm not sure whether this covers the type of use that you're looking for, but I find that it works well for me.:)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agree

I agree. Don't like that it switches to magnification mode. Any way around this would be great.

4. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately switching from AF to MF requires at least 3 button presses on the NEX-6 so that's a bit too cumbersome for me. Programming one of the two soft buttons to directly switching between AF and MF is not possible. The list of functions that can be assigned to the soft buttons, is appallingly limited in my opinion; I fail to see why Sony doesn't simply offer all menu items as an option for the soft buttons as a start, and then extend it with direct switching options for AF/MF, peaking on/off, OSS on/off etc.

5. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    Menu->setup->MF Assist allows you to turn the magnification on/ off. The next item, maybe MF Assist Time, allows you to set how long the image remains magnified, if MF Assist is on.

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Good idea, thanks! By setting the MF assist time to 2 s it's workable, especially because the time-out only starts after you stop focussing.

7. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    they way they implemented this is so stupid, why cant I magnify when I WANT to instead of forced?

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You can. You just have to be using a MF lens to do it. :p

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is one of my programable buttons on the F3.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    This only works if the subject is static.

11. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    I just noticed that its also possible to configure the AEL key to trigger MF Assist (magnification) on the Nex-6.

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Use that all the time. Shame that the other button cannot be programmed to switch peaking on/off.

13. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Why not use Manual shooting mode with MF?

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    For the times I want to have AF with a quick way to override if I want to.