1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to use a color checker - 2 min primer

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by fractal, Sep 8, 2016.

1. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I've never done this, and until now never knew how.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you want pleasing colors, this is the way to go IMHO. It takes some experimenting under which light calibration is best and you might want to tweak calibration a bit in Lightroom's camera calibration, but it's worth it. I don't go through the trouble of calibrating for each shooting session, I have made test shots outside in cloudy weather and the resulting profile is applied during import with a preset. The standard Adobe profiles may be accurate but they don't suit me.

Recently I bought a fresh Colorchecker Passport and compared it to the one I bought in 2012. Differences were small and could also be caused by the actual angle you're looking at it, rendition of the patches changes when viewed under a certain angle. So I try to shoot with the sensor plane approximately parallel to the Passport. BTW, the Passport's separate grey card seems to be very accurate according to independent measurements (which I can't find now).

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Roscoe

Roscoe TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2016
    JWMersereau
    Just got one the other day. Have to learn how to use it, too. Seems to be you can either adjust WB in the camera or in post. Have to try both and see how they work.
    But re: your point on reference shots, I'd wonder that the lens isn't as important as the camera?

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Personally I prefer to adjust WB in post, either just visually or with the WB picker on a grey card. Indeed I think the camera is the predominant factor in color rendition, although the lens can have some influence too; I usually don't bother with profiles for each camera/lens combo.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1