• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

How to turn a NEX 5N and lunch into a NEX 7

Real Name
Colin
1. Buy a white NEX 5N.
2. Have a rich friend who buys a NEX 7 as a walkaround.
3. Trade cameras with the friend for kicks.
4. Friend loves the size, colour and touch screen of the 5N and considers it easier to use.
5. When your friend mentions that he wishes he had bought the 5N instead, offer to switch with him straight up.
6. After he accepts, explain to him that it's not a fair trade and you were just joking.
7. When he continues to insist, offer to trade the 5N for his 5D Mark III.
8. When he explains that he understands the cost difference but he has no use for the 7 and really would like to trade accept and take your friend out to lunch.

Good friends are gold.
Crazy friends are priceless.

Some shots from on the way home with the NEX 7 and the kit lens. Now I just have to figure out how to set it up and use it.

Getting ready to butcher a deer on the street.

1859-deer.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Dried fish

1860-dried-fish.jpg

Pork guy

1861-pork-guy.jpg

Spice guy

1862-spice-guy.jpg

Nuts

1863-nuts.jpg

The Jewellery and the shoe store

1864-jewellery-shoe-stores.jpg

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
Good friends are gold.
Crazy friends are priceless.

Some shots from on the way home with the NEX 7 and the kit lens. Now I just have to figure out how to set it up and use it.

Getting ready to butcher a deer on the street.

1859-deer.jpg

Pork guy

1861-pork-guy.jpg

Spice guy

1862-spice-guy.jpg

Nuts

1863-nuts.jpg

The Jewellery and the shoe store

1864-jewellery-shoe-stores.jpg

congratulations mate, really the nex 7 is great and the trade you did was good, friends like you have it very few, and now enjoy your nex7 certainly your street photography is very interesting I like .: O

Real Name
Colin
he called me today and I figured he probably changed his mind but he wanted to give me the neck strap because it says NEX 7 on it and it doesn't match.

He's only had the NEX 7 for a month and I wouldn't take it except I know he knows what he's doing. He does get a nice Gariz half case and wrist strap to assuage my guilt a little and I did introduce him to his lovely wife and never let him forget it.

And there was that lunch.

Real Name
Colin
A Couple more from today

1884-chop-chop.jpg

1883-rest.jpg

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
1884-chop-chop.jpg

1883-rest.jpg

I LOVE IT, the second one : Cool:

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
he called me today and I figured he probably changed his mind but he wanted to give me the neck strap because it says NEX 7 on it and it doesn't match.

He's only had the NEX 7 for a month and I wouldn't take it except I know he knows what he's doing. He does get a nice Gariz half case and wrist strap to assuage my guilt a little and I did introduce him to his lovely wife and never let him forget it.

And there was that lunch.
Yes, I believe your friend knows exactly what he's doing. Think of it as receiving a gift... there's no guilt involved in that. :)

Thanks. What do you mean by graphic?
I think what davect01 is referring to the photos of the deer being butchered by the sidewalk. It doesn't bother me, I've been to open markets in southeast asia and the produce and the processing of the produce is all happening right there in front of the buyers (colours and smells and all). I do understand that highly urbanized cultures would find things like that unappealing...

A Couple more from today

1884-chop-chop.jpg
You know I love Chinese food (the real authentic stuff, not the westernized take-aways)... so must you insist on torturing me like this?! LOL ;) Slurrrp! :p

Real Name
Colin
Oh yeah, I get the graphic idea of it now. I guess I'm desensitized to to it now. That's daily occurance where I live. It's right on the street, there's a kindergarten next to it and its a normal housing street. They do it there because its easier to clean up into the sewers.

The interesting thing about it this time for me is that it was a deer not a pig.

I'll make sure to be careful in the future. I don't suppose anyone would be too thrilled to see the dogs.

The NEX 7 is so nice to handle. That Tri-Nav is wonderful and I didn't have the EVF for the 5N so I'm also enjoying that. Separate exposure and focus lock. My friend really likes the touch screen but I never used it much except for some spot focusing but even still I prefer to recompose.

Quite happy with it.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Oh yeah, I get the graphic idea of it now. I guess I'm desensitized to to it now. That's daily occurance where I live...
I'll make sure to be careful in the future...
I can't speak for the others but as for me, I thought you were already considerate. I mean, another 15 minutes later... well, that would've been really graphic, LOL!

That's a daily occurrence in western countries too, except it's hidden and kept away from the public in processing plants, yah. In New Zealand we occasionally have deer/pig hunting and fishing TV shows that temper us about the raw realities of 'living off the land." Although it's diminishing as our younger generations are now beginning to believe that chickens drop from the sky in vacuum packed plastic bags.

I like the way you shoot day to day scenes "as they are" in your part of China because change is occurring at an unbelievable rate over there. When I was in Shenzhen back in 2006, I was having continental breakfast in a 5 star hotel staring down at a 6-lane (each way) concrete highway watching to my amazement a very old man carrying a couple of heavy loads at each end of a bamboo pole resting on his shoulders. The thing is, he was walking smack in the middle of 6 lanes of on-coming traffic, full of trucks doing about 100kph. The truck drivers didn't seem to mind and just moved to either side of him with no drama or commotion, as the old man ambled along until he disappeared into the distance. I asked my Chinese friend what was going on! He said, the highway used to be a dirt road a few months ago which the old man probably used all his life to get to the next town. It made no difference to him that it was now made of concrete as the concept of a super highway was foreign to him since he'd never seen one before. As far as the old man was concerned it's the same road, except wider. At first I found this hard to believe but the next year when I came back, I saw endless blocks of 4-6 storey factory buildings in an area that was used to be nothing but rice fields.

Putting myself in their shoes, I've often wondered how simple village folk inadvertently kept in a time-capsule for decades within a formerly closed communist country are coping with the sudden change of modern western style urbanization happening all around them. The change happening inside mainland China is so blistering fast that it creates this fascinating bizzare world were the 'olden ways' are colliding awkwardly with the new, in some places. I hope you continue to capture some of these unusual scenes before they're all gone...

Real Name
Colin
Yeah, it"s pretty normal to be on a city bus and have top stop for 10 minutes as a a guy crosses the road herding a hundred ducks across or passing a couple of water buffalo.

Shenzhen is a modern city. You can imagine what it's like in the old places without the modern conveniences and influence.

Latest threads

Top Bottom