[How to] Setup your A6000 to back button focus w/ continuous focus

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dsiglin, May 14, 2014.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Last night I learned about back-button focusing. I followed the directions in this thread but I wanted to have continuous autofocus while holding down the button I designated for MF/AF toggle. In this case it is the AEL button. After trying various settings I finally discovered the magic combination. I hope this will be profitable for others with similar wants. I'm coming from all MF to just starting to experiment with AF so if anyone has pointers that will improve my setup please share for the benefit of us all.

The only real let down is custom button settings are NOT stored in Memory Recall. That would have allowed great flexibility.

Anyways, my settings:
    AEL button: AF On
    AEL w/ shutter: Off*
    Pre-AF: Off*
    AF w/ shutter: Off*
    Lock-On AF: Off (though some people might want this )
    Focus Area: Wide (because I chose Focus Mode: AF-A. If I were to choose Focus Mode: AF-S I'd probably go with Focus Area: flexible Large/Medium)
    Focus Mode: AF-A (the beauty of this setting is the camera will start tracking if the subject moves but if it is a stationary target it will lock focus and allow you to recompose)

* These settings I'm not sure if they have an effect on what I'm trying to do so I just turned them off.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for posting this ... have desk-tested the set-up and I like the concept.

In addition to assigning AF On to AEL I have assigned AF/MF Control Hold to C1.

The work flow is very intuitive and consistent ... one button is held to AF, the other is held to MF (with Magnify at your option) ... letting go of either locks. Choose one, the other, or AF/MF in sequence. I think I'm going to like this a lot and can't wait to field test.

I agree. I have one of my memory registers dedicated to MF / legacy glass and I'd love to have those two custom buttons available for something relevant in this mode without re-programming each time.
    • Like Like x 1