1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

how to overcome slight delay with A7r2?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by adwb, Aug 15, 2016.

1. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    I find that unlike a dslr there is a slight delay with a A7r2, for example model holds dress up and on count of 3 lets go; with a dslr I catch the dress dropping every time but with the 7r2 using the same method the dress is always nearly fully down in each shot .
    Example 2, get the model to jump, easy to catch with a dslr but always slightly behind with the A7, any suggestions anyone ? I have tried faster shutter speeds but that does not seem to help.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Well, the EVF has a very slight lag, whereas, the optical viewfinder is real time. That's certainly part of it, but probably not all of it considering how great of a difference you're describing.

3. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Well I started then altered the question saying the evf is laggy, but, given I say 1-2-3 and press as the movement happens it's more like a shutter button or shutter lag and I' m blowed if I can think of a way round this , given I was using HSS I can't use burst mode which might fix my problem of course.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Huh. That's weird. I don't know what to say...

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Possibilities:
    • There is more of a lag between shutter press and actuation in the Sony versus the DSLR. If this is the case, you will need to alter your timing so that you fire the shutter earlier on the Sony. It will just have to be different, because it is.
    • There is something happening (Pre-AF, AF-C?) such that the Sony isn't ready to take the shot as soon as you expect. In this case, you might be able to alter a setting and keep your pre-established timing routine.
    And I presume there is flash involved, so multiple exposures is out of the question?

6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Has focus confirm been established before depressing the shutter all the way? Or is it that at '3' you depress the shutter and the body must acquire focus? Is this a tripod mounted shot or hand held. I'm not an A7R2 owner, just trying to determine if AF is the reason for the lag.

If it's a tripod mounted shot, perhaps disable OSS and IBIS. And back-button focus to lock in the focus so that the shutter press doesn't initiate refocusing before shutter release.

7. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I use the back button focus as mentioned by Will, and I find the shutter button lagless.

8. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Apologies for the delay in replying , I use back button focusing so there is no delay while focus is acquired, and yes flash is involved which precludes burst mode , but I think dbmiller has nailed it ,
    however trying to work out the way to anticipate this is another matter.

9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Are you using it with electronic first curtain shutter? If not this will create lag as the shutter must first close then open then close again.

10. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Hmmm... Maybe take a picture of a running stopwatch? Use a digital stopwatch with hundredths of a second display and a shutter speed of 1/100th. Time your shutter press to occur right on a second boundary, and the displayed time in the photo will tell you the delay. Now compare that to the same result with your DSLR.

Edit: This assumes the stopwatch display is actually updated at 100Hz.

• Like Like x 1