1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how to make Yungnuo 603C II flash triggers and Nissin i40 work for Sony a6000

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ytthirteenhundred, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Hey, I recently got a Nissin i40 flash and pair of Yungnuo 603C II wireless flash triggers for my Sony a6000, but I cannot get the flash triggers to work. The Nissin works fine on the camera itself, but not through the triggers. I have the trigger on the camera set to TX and the one off camera set to TRX. When I press the button on the on camera trigger half way, the lights on both triggers turn green, and when I press the shutter on the camera, the lights on both triggers flash red. So the trigger on camera is obviously reading something from the camera and transmitting it to the other trigger, but somehow the information is not actually getting to the flash. I have also tried mounting the flash on the same trigger that is on the camera, but this also does not work. Inside the triggers, there are 4 switches labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4. I have tried it with all of them off, and with each individual switch on. Also, I have the flash set to M. Any suggestions of how to make the triggers work? Thanks

2. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Did you remove the paint as shown in red here on your A6000? The image is from that dpreview thread. Thanks to the original poster.

RxNZE1V.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    As mentioned above. the a6000 a layer of paint on the underside of the flash shoe. The problem is addressed extensively in the DPreview.com forums. Some have talked about phsyicly removing some paint on the underside of the shoe with a sand paper fingernail file.
    HOWEVER i would advice simply putting the flash on and taking it off about 20 to 30 times and then making sure that the lock ring is securely tightened down. This repetitive mounting action should wear contact points through the paint of the shoe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I have tried sanding down the hotshoe to ensure that there are good contact points, but the triggers still don't work. When I press the shutter, a red light flashes on both triggers, so the camera is definitely transmitting something through the triggers, the flash simply won't engage.

5. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the trigger is not communicating with the flash, rather than the camera not communicating with the trigger. I know for the 603I you had to use a mod to get it to work with sony gear, but I thought that those mods were unnecessary for the 603II. Am I incorrect about that?

6. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Have you tried using non sony mount flash in the trigger? I had a similar experience with Cowboy studio triggers and HVL20m flash not working. My Pentax flash with a standard shoe fired flawlesly. The problem was clearly with the Sony shoe.

7. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
  8. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I don't have any other flash equipment, so I haven't been able to test anything with other brands. It seems like buying an adapter might solve the problem, the question is just which adapter.

9. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    No adapter will do if your Nissin is acting like HVL-F20M or AM or like i described in my 2 posts like the F32M.
    If these are actually SLU ( Stroboscopic Lighting Unit ), then this stroboscopic effect can not take place with any adapter since a single trigger command will not ignite the stroboscope long enough to illuminate your scene. The only wireless triggers i know that may work could be the Phottix Odin ( tested with both 20 models) or the Pixel King ( not tested by me ). But the price of these is outrageously high.

My recommendation to use with these Yongnuo's : buy a used Minolta 360PX. They are around 35-40$ and will provide a lot of versatility and are even usable on your A6000 in an antique sensor automode that is still surprisingly efficient if you know how to:
    Use manual ISO
    Use M mode
    Go to daylight or flash WB
    Put the LCD preview with effects off

• Like Like x 1
  10. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    Ok, thanks for the advice

11. cvt01

cvt01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Here is something you might be able to test: take the transmitter off of the camera and use the test button to fire the nissin attached to the receiver. It must fire this way. If it does not then the problem is that the receiver is not able to trigger the flash as you suspected.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    These unintelligent flash triggers work by shot circuiting the central pin and side contact. I don't know what kind of semiconductor is used but it might not work with every flash. However I think that it is more likely a electromechanical problem. Maybe the flash don't sit in the receiver well (I think that one possible fault is the lip in the front of hot shoe containing TTL). Easy way to see that is use felt tip pen to black out the central connector in receiver and insert the flash several times. Now you will see if the hot shoe moves sufficiently from the scratches.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    DSC00818. Sorry it took me a while to post, but I finally have the triggers working. I took xXx1's suggestion and investigated the placement of the center pin on the Nissin. Sure enough, it was set back roughly 2mm too far to make contact. What I finally ended up doing was buying a cheap generic hot shoe adapter, and modifying it so that the Nissin would make good contact with it. To make the necessary modifications, I had to completely removed the top front strip of plastic, and trim 2mm off the rear of the top metal rails. This lets the flash sit 2mm further forward than it would before, thus allowing it to make good contact. So by placing the adapter between the trigger and the flash, I can now use the wireless triggers. If anyone else decides to try this, make sure you use a small file to round of the cut metal edges before test fitting it, because the rough edges could tear up the plastic foot on the i40 (I filed mine before test fitting, so no damage was done, but it would be an easy step to overlook). Also, I had to straighten the front catches on the metal clip in order for the flash to sit in it properly which made the clip very loose, so I put two dots of solder on the rear to keep the clip in place.

14. plus5volt

plus5volt New to TalkEmount

Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1