How to clean the sensor

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Zanner, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    So I have black spots all over my sensor. I've tried rubbing them off with a microfiber cloth and my finger, but they don't budge. And I have heard that sticky block that some use on DSLRs is not safe to use on the Nex. So....what can I purchase on Amazon.com to clean it safely? I'm so tired of the dalmation photos.

Another thing - Is lens cleaner OK to use on sensor cleaner (same thing)? I find alot of "lens" cleaner, not sensor cleaner

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've used mostly just the in camera cleaning, combined with a gentle blower/brush.

I also have one of those lens pens with the sticky side. used it a couple of times with no ill effects.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Get this.

I've used the LensPen SensorKlear on four different mirrorless cameras now, 2 µ4/3 and 2 Sonys. It's easy to use, requires no fluids or special wipes, and does not damage the sensor. Highly recommended.

I would not use lens cleaners on the sensor. Use the right tool for the job.

• Like Like x 1
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    +1 I have a similar kit and it cleared up really bad sensor dust i had going on. I noticed it when I did some macro work with smaller apertures. If you take a pic of a piece of white paper at f32 (on a tripod at ISO100 to allow for long exposure) and see what you get (see a load of dots - aka dust), then clean and repeat the test.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Are they dust spots? And I don't think touching the sensor (basically the film over it) with your finger is a good idea...

When my Nex had dust spots, I had a friend of mine who happens to be a camera tech, clean it. He used some sort of special non-alcohol fluid on an ear cotton bud and carefully removed them.

6. mrlrz

mrlrz TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    +1

7. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I haven't used anything but a cloth that came with a camera cleaning kit. I put it on the sensor and tried to rub them off using my finger (finger was not touching the sensor itself, just the cloth). It did nothing. I tried the blower thingy once, just gently, and that didn't do anything either. It's like it needs a cleaning fluid or something.
    I don't know what else it would be besides dust (?). I have never left the camera without a lens on it for more than 10 seconds or so, so I can't figure out how these spots got on there.
    I will try the SensorKlear one then. Thanks!

8. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    That's what I think I need. I don't think anything but a liquid of some sort is going to get these suckers off. I just don't know what to get. I can't find anything listed under sensor cleaning but "lens cleaner". I know that's not the correct stuff though

9. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    First use a blower, then sensor swab with 2-4 drops of eclipse liquid. works pretty fine for me.
    I clean my sensors as much as needed and I often change lenses as I use quite exclusively primes.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de TalkEmount

• Like Like x 2
  10. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    OK there are three sensor swabs Type 1, 2, or 3. Which one works on the Nex?

11. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    type 2 for aps-c

• Like Like x 2
  12. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Thank you very much for your help!

13. izTheViz

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Welcome ! Don't be scared of cleaning your sensor. Once again, blower first and blow heavily with sensor pointing down to remove and can be removed without physical contact.

• Like Like x 1