1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How steadz are your hands

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Aug 10, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I was wondering if you can share how steady your hands are for different focal lengths.
    I have been shooting the whole day with my 135mm and I found the under 1/125 is not gonna be looking nice. I can also survive with 1/60 at around 50mm..
    What is your performance and how much in terms of shutter speed you think you have gained over the practice?

Regards
    Alex

2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    The rule of thumb for hand-held is 1/effective-focal-length or faster. So take the example of 135mm, you'll need about 1/200s; 50mm, you'll need about 1/75s.

When in doubt, bump up ISO so you can get the shot. You can try improve your shooting stability, and sometimes you get lucky, but that's the baseline.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It's all relative to shutter speed and ISO.

At a certain point you need to stabilize your camera.

4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Nobody said photography is easy! You need to practice a steady hold and stationary shutter release.......back in the days of crude film cameras we all had to work at this until we perfected our technique, otherwise things were not only frustrating but very expensive as well!

Also, there are several 'old dodges' such as using the neckstrap to keep the camera steady by tensioning around your upper arm...or a length of string tied to a tripod screw on the camera and looped around your foot. You can also brace yourself against a solid object or rest the camera on something. Then there are clamps and monopods as well as tripods and small sandbags etc.

Personally, I have more confidence in knowing I have focused properly and held th camera firmly than I do in modern auto systems built into the camera......but that's just me!

5. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk

this is it in a nutshell, on 35mm it was the focal length ie 135mm = lens shutter speed above 1/135th ie 1/160th, however I don't thing you need to go to 200, as the crop factor of 1.5 on the Nex does not increase the actual focal length, but replicates the field of view, therefore I would think,keep shutter speed the same as focal length ( the closest going up ie if it is a 135mm lens the a shutter speed of 160th would be fine.
    You can test yourself on a decently bright day put a hand drawn chart of lines on a wall in full light then take some photos starting at the focal length and going down Ie 160th, 125th etc and do the same in the shade and see how steady your hand is, we are all different.
    this is only a rule of thumb ,but it works.
    as has been said upping the iso is always an option

6. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    For me not having a EVF makes it more difficult to hold steady, even more so with a 135mm because of the weight extending further out. I usually hold the 135mm waist high for that lens whenever possible. For what shutter speed, it depends on how much coffee I had, usually keep it at 200 for a 135mm.

7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    find yourself something you can make a tripod out of, ie your body and something else, a corner , a wall, a lamppost, a car anything that will steady you, have the shutter halfway pressed then very gently push the shutter button fully home ,taking care not to push the camera down,imagine yourself as a sniper, they have to do all of this, kneeling down is a great steadier too, it just takes practice then it becomes second nature.