• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

HOW NIKON’S MIRRORLESS DID NOT MAKE ME SELL MY SONY

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Part of me wants it [a Z6]. I want it for the better EVF and 3 user modes. I want it for the two prime lenses which are just the right length, speed, size and price for me. I want it for the [presumably, hopefully] tougher build quality. The Nikon layout might take some getting used to (the last body of theirs I had was an F3) but it would be fun to try their approach. (Part of me dreads having to wade back in to make any substantial changes to all the programming I had to do on my A7iii after I first got it.)
The strange thing is, the latest two Sony releases seem clearly aimed at toppling the supremacy of the DSLR while these new Z series models clearly do not. They feel to me as though they come from the year 2016, when using a FF MILC meant having to compromise on battery life, card slots and AF tracking. We'll see how good or bad these Z cameras really are in all those departments in the coming weeks, but it does kind of seem like folks who currently use DSLRs to make a living are probably not going to want to trade in their old workhorses, just yet.
The funny thing is, those supposed shortcomings don't especially bother me for what I do. But that's why I've been with Sony since 2012. So while I really appreciate this new Nikon release, I'm kind of already set with the Sony gear I've been accumulating.
I guess it seems a little unclear to me how this new Z series is supposed to be any sort of game changer - except perhaps for those who are heavily invested in Nikon gear. (Certainly not an insignificant segment. I also read there are a few unique goodies for video.)
Your move, Canon... :dance2:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm testing one out next week. I might end up just shooting both Nikon and Sony. Sony for Eye-AF and portrait shooting. Nikon Z for telephoto and action shooting due to the available long lens options.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Is it really true that Z6/7 have a mere two control dials? Like as few as the A6xxxs? I mean I use all four dials and can't bring myself to buy an A6xxx as a backup just for that reason alone.

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Is it really true that Z6/7 have a mere two control dials? Like as few as the A6xxxs? I mean I use all four dials and can't bring myself to buy an A6xxx as a backup just for that reason alone.

Yes, one in the front of the grip and a custom function dial on the top right rear corner.

msullivan

TalkEmount Regular
Nikon seems to be hedging its bets. The projected Canon equipment appears to be part of a much more serious commitment.

• Agree
Reactions: WNG

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Nikon seems to be hedging its bets. The projected Canon equipment appears to be part of a much more serious commitment.

I've long said that Nikon's cautious and conservative nature would ultimately get it into trouble. Perhaps the two new Z cameras will be big hits. I'd be happy for Nikon.

But your remark about the company seeming to hedge its bets with the Z7 and Z6 makes me feel that (unhappily) I am correct.

Either way, the new Nikons come too late for me. I have cast my lot with Sony and don't think I'll be changing systems again.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I tried the new Z camera recently. I much prefer my A7III. I felt Nikon was holding too much back to protect the DSLRs. Saying that, I feel the new Nikon Z mount and even the soon to be announced Canon R might have better long term potential regarding the mount design.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Being a long time Nikon shooter I was all set to get either the Z6 or Z7, but I was extremely disappointed with the mirrorless offerings Nikon put up. The new Nikon ZTF adapter does not work with my 7 Nikon AFD lenses, including the 3 I use for my portrait work. In fact the adapter does not work, by that I mean by not having AF, with 18 AF or AFD lenses that Nikon still sells on their website? Not only are there no new portrait S lenses, but with no eye detection, a tiny 16 to 18 shot buffer, a true "only" 5.5 FPS CA-F speed and 1 card slot (geez what were they thinking?), well, this just killed it for me. I don't want to wait for 3 more years for Nikon to get it's s__t together, as having shot with M4/3 along side my Nikon gear for the last 6 years, I know the benefits that mirrorless can bring.

So this week I bought into the Sony system after spending a lot if time researching it and testing out the A7. The Sony A7III has really promising eye detect AF, a 50 plus shot buffer, 10FPS and 2 SD card slots, along with a pretty good selection of lenses. While I will be keeping some of my Nikon gear, mainly the D500 and the longer lenses for sports/BIF shooting, Nikons plan of crippling the Z6 & Z7 has backfired on them in my case.

Last edited:

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I will be keeping some of my Nikon gear, mainly the D500 and the longer lenses for sports/BIF shooting.

There you go. Perfect. If I had a D500 I would keep it and a few appropriate lenses as well. Make sure you save a normal zoom and a fast prime as well - just in case.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
There you go. Perfect. If I had a D500 I would keep it and a few appropriate lenses as well. Make sure you save a normal zoom and a fast prime as well - just in case.

Yeah, the D500 is pretty remarkable for sports/BIF shooting and with the larger lenses I wouldn't want a smaller ML body anyway, as it just isn't comfortable. Haven't had a Nikon DX zoom though since about 7 years ago, until just last month (I am a prime guy) when I bought the Tokina 11-16 DX f2.8 zoom. I will most definitely keep that, along with the 70-200VR f2.8, 300mm f4 and the TC-14. That way with the TC and and 300mm I can effectively have a AF 630mm f5.6. I have a bunch of Nikkor FF primes, both MF and AF, but I haven't sorted out what I will be keeping yet, as it will really depends upon on how good I find the Sony. The better the Sony is, the less Nikon gear I will keep. Besides the 3 FE primes I purchased, listed in my sig, I plan on adding the Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 and 135mm f2.8, once the Holiday sales start.

One thing I haven't seen in the Sony FE system is a 300mm f4. Have you seen any info/rumors on one coming up?

Last edited:

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Welcome!

I think the only tele prime they've done past 135mm is the 400/2.8. The rest are zooms (70-200, 70-300, 100-400)

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yeah, the D500 is pretty remarkable for sports/BIF shooting and with the larger lenses I wouldn't want a smaller ML body anyway, as it just isn't comfortable. Haven't had a Nikon DX zoom though since about 7 years ago, until just last month (I am a prime guy) when bought the Tokina 11-16 DX f2.8 zoom. I will most definitely keep that, along with the 70-200VR f2.8, 300mm f4 and the TC-14. That way with the TC and and 300mm I can effectively have a AF 630mm f5.6. I have a bunch of Nikkor FF primes, both MF and AF, but I haven't sorted out what I will be keeping yet, as it will really depends upon on how good I find the Sony. The better the Sony is, the less Nikon gear I will keep. Besides the 3 FE primes I purchased, listed in my sig, I plan on adding the Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 and 135mm f2.8, once the Holiday sales start.

One thing I haven't seen in the Sony FE system is a 300mm f4. Have you seen any info/rumors on one coming up?

You can get the Viltrox NF-E1 Nikon to Sony adapter and it works okay with the Nikon 300mm f4 AFS and the A7III. Not native fast, but in good light it does lock-on decently. It might hold you over until you get a solid telephoto on the Sony side.

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Welcome!

I think the only tele prime they've done past 135mm is the 400/2.8. The rest are zooms (70-200, 70-300, 100-400)

That is what I have found in my limited 2 weeks of learning about Sony and it is kind of disappointing as the Nikon 300 F4 is one heck of a lens. I am not interested in slow variable zooms and $12 grand for a 400m f2.8 is certainly beyond me, and most likely 99 percent of the shooters in this forum. Hopefully Sony may be thinking along these lines and be developing a 300mm f4.

Last edited:

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Jim
You can get the Viltrox NF-E1 Nikon to Sony adapter and it works okay with the Nikon 300mm f4 AFS and the A7III. Not native fast, but in good light it does lock-on decently. It might hold you over until you get a solid telephoto on the Sony side.

Hi Jonathan, nice to see you here. I am not big on adapters and am OK with the Sony A7III being my general purpose, portrait, street and travel setup, that is what I am aiming for and truthfully I don't need a 300mm f4 for these venues. The D500, 70-200 and 300 will be kept for Sports/BIF. I most likely will be keeping my Panasonic G9 and 3 or 4 M4/3 lenses too, as I absolutely love my P/Leica 42.5 f1.2 Nociticron and the Olympus 75mm f1.8 (85mm and 150mm FF equivalent).

Sorry if I am derailing the OP's thread a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: WNG

Latest threads

Top Bottom