How many spare batteries do you have?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jazzer, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    So a rather strange question, I guess. I was wondering how many spares you think is enough and if you are going on vacation how many batteries you take with you.
    I don't think I've ever used more than two batteries in a day (even the third party ones) and I can charge them over night, but it seems like having four with me so that I can charge two while using another two might make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    On a professional, all day shoot I can see needing multiple batteries taking thousands of shots.

Myself, I have never needed more than the one backup, and that is because the battery in my camera was low to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've never gone into any sort of shooting situation where the volume was so great I would run down a battery.
    And it may be due to the fact that I only use legacy Canon FDn lenses in manual mode on NEX-7s...none of the automation that would probably draw down a battery.
    That said, simply because I like being prepared for the unexpected, I have a spare battery for each camera, keep them charged, and handy should I ever need them....rotate / cycle them all in and out of operation the first of every month.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have 6 total: 2 Sony and 4 Wasabi batteries. I've never come close to running out, but I do a lot of camping and some days I don't drive the car for long enough (if at all) to use the car charger.

I bought a second Wasabi 2-battery-plus-charger pack mostly for the charger. (The first Wasabi charger had crapped out or so I thought - turned out just to be the 12V car cord - next time for that I'll try Radio Shack.)

For traveling I'd want to have at least 3. I basically never shoot enough to drain even a single battery in one day but there are too many halfway-viable scenarios where I could get stranded with just 2. (One mysteriously dies, the camera gets left on and doesn't go into power save mode and I'm hosed...)

• Like Like x 1
  5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    I have only 1 spare, because they cost a fortune!

Would like to hear more about people's experience with cheaper versions. But, ultimately, I am happy with just 1 in the charger and 1 in the camera

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have 2 spears oem battery got them on clearance for $25 each at target and I had bestbuy extended warranty on my old cameras and request a replacement and they let me keep the one I have that works great and order me 2 new ones for free they should be arriving by Friday

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have 8 spare batteries. Only 6 are usable in my 7r. The other two only work in my nex 6. I usually bring three fully charged with me on a walk. If I'm using manual legacy lenses I'll usually only need one back up. The auto focus lenses drains a lot more power.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I have five batteries, and I always bring them all with me. I know that is anal but I never know what I may run into.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    That is what I have now as well. The 2 OEMs came with my A6000 and NEX 6, respectively. I had 2 Wasabi batteries and a charger for the NEX 6 and I just bought another set with the charger (one of the prongs broke off my first charger, but it still works). Probably overkill, but they are cheap enough that I feel like it makes sense to have some extras. I have more SD cards than I probably need as well, but I guess I'm from the "better safe than sorry" school. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That situation also makes sense.

The longest, away from electricity trip was last year for a week. I still only needed the second battery, but I also did not go photo crazy either.

I did bring a solar charger, but never needed it.

11. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I have 3. The Sony battery and two cheapo wasabi batteries. I use the sony battery primarily. The wasabi batteries do not have the same "run time". I did a 2.5 hour time lapse using the sony and it handled it no sweat. The wasabi battery didn't even make it to 2 hours. As back up batteries for regular shooting, the wasabi's are just fine. Beyond that, you get what you pay for.
    When I went to Evergreen Air and Space Museum, I killed the sony batt and a wasabi batt during my visit,

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have the same 3 batteries, and the same experience with them as you do, AK. Kind of disappointing, since the Wasabis have a much higher mAh rating than the Sony.

13. 24cal

24cal New to TalkEmount

Jun 1, 2014
    West Sussex, England
    I have 2 spares for holidays but find that 1 spare for a day out is enough. I use manual focus and evf usually

14. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue Subscribing Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have the OEM that came with my Nex-5 (still seems to hold it's charge well after 3 years), The OEM with the A6000, plus got some other brand one chucked in when I got the A6000 - so 2 OEM and 1 other total. It's worth noting the newer OEM is half the weight of the older and lasts 30% longer....

I have drained 1.5 batteries in a day a few times, but never more than that (usually at car/track events where I am shooting with AF and with 11fps often).

Traveling I always take all 3, but am yet to do an extended vacation with no charge facilities. I expect the 3 would last me a week easily though as on a general holiday day out I might only use 30% of a battery.

15. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    As for myself, I only have 1 spare battery. It's been enough so far. The spare one I have cost me $20 only. I can't see the difference with the Sony one. So it's not that expensive in the end. Even if it wasn't as good, it's not a lot of money spent. Time will tell if it's good quality or not...

16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    When I went to Greece for a month, I picked up a spare Sony battery to go with the cheap-o I already had plus the one that came with the 5n. The only day I needed the third battery was when I forgot to charge one from the day before.

Now that I have the A6000, I have another battery and (in-camera) charger. On our Alaskan cruise, I never had to use the camera to charge a battery, although the wall charger was used to re-charge multiple batteries on some nights. The A6000 burned through quicker, because of the 11fps, and for the whale watches and glaciers, I was firing off lots of pictures at once. Plus my wife and I did a lot of chimping.

17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Funny, I actually do the opposite. On the road, I use the Wasabi batteries since I know can recharge them with the included car charger. (It might be okay to charge Sony batteries in the Wasabi charger and vice versa but I usually don't.) One Wasabi battery is more than enough to get me through a day. And if things run low, I know I have the better Sony batteries (charged up at home) for a super-reserve! :D

But that's just me...

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It seems to be perfectly safe. I keep my 3 batteries on a steady rotation, using the Wasabi charger on all of them, including the Sony. It hasn't seemed to affect it negatively in any way that I can detect. If anything, the Wasabis seem to be suffering the most. :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Now, when I acquisited used 5r, I have totally 6 batteries, 2 original and 4 chinese (about $8 each, I dont remember). All works great, 5r actually with firmware v0.1… .

Sent from my ZTE V967S using TalkEmount mobile app

20. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Just one spare battery for me. A Sony (supposedly). But so far I have never really had to swap batteries in the middle of any given day. Like to have the backup for long days on travel though. If I ever get a second body (oh how I hope and pray) I may get another spare.