1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How many spare batteries do you have?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jazzer, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    So a rather strange question, I guess. I was wondering how many spares you think is enough and if you are going on vacation how many batteries you take with you.
    I don't think I've ever used more than two batteries in a day (even the third party ones) and I can charge them over night, but it seems like having four with me so that I can charge two while using another two might make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    On a professional, all day shoot I can see needing multiple batteries taking thousands of shots.

Myself, I have never needed more than the one backup, and that is because the battery in my camera was low to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've never gone into any sort of shooting situation where the volume was so great I would run down a battery.
    And it may be due to the fact that I only use legacy Canon FDn lenses in manual mode on NEX-7s...none of the automation that would probably draw down a battery.
    That said, simply because I like being prepared for the unexpected, I have a spare battery for each camera, keep them charged, and handy should I ever need them....rotate / cycle them all in and out of operation the first of every month.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have 6 total: 2 Sony and 4 Wasabi batteries. I've never come close to running out, but I do a lot of camping and some days I don't drive the car for long enough (if at all) to use the car charger.

I bought a second Wasabi 2-battery-plus-charger pack mostly for the charger. (The first Wasabi charger had crapped out or so I thought - turned out just to be the 12V car cord - next time for that I'll try Radio Shack.)

For traveling I'd want to have at least 3. I basically never shoot enough to drain even a single battery in one day but there are too many halfway-viable scenarios where I could get stranded with just 2. (One mysteriously dies, the camera gets left on and doesn't go into power save mode and I'm hosed...)

• Like Like x 1
  5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have only 1 spare, because they cost a fortune!

Would like to hear more about people's experience with cheaper versions. But, ultimately, I am happy with just 1 in the charger and 1 in the camera

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yadex

Yadex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    New Jersey
    I have 2 spears oem battery got them on clearance for $25 each at target and I had bestbuy extended warranty on my old cameras and request a replacement and they let me keep the one I have that works great and order me 2 new ones for free they should be arriving by Friday

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I have 8 spare batteries. Only 6 are usable in my 7r. The other two only work in my nex 6. I usually bring three fully charged with me on a walk. If I'm using manual legacy lenses I'll usually only need one back up. The auto focus lenses drains a lot more power.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkNEX mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I have five batteries, and I always bring them all with me. I know that is anal but I never know what I may run into.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    That is what I have now as well. The 2 OEMs came with my A6000 and NEX 6, respectively. I had 2 Wasabi batteries and a charger for the NEX 6 and I just bought another set with the charger (one of the prongs broke off my first charger, but it still works). Probably overkill, but they are cheap enough that I feel like it makes sense to have some extras. I have more SD cards than I probably need as well, but I guess I'm from the "better safe than sorry" school. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That situation also makes sense.

The longest, away from electricity trip was last year for a week. I still only needed the second battery, but I also did not go photo crazy either.

I did bring a solar charger, but never needed it.

11. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I have 3. The Sony battery and two cheapo wasabi batteries. I use the sony battery primarily. The wasabi batteries do not have the same "run time". I did a 2.5 hour time lapse using the sony and it handled it no sweat. The wasabi battery didn't even make it to 2 hours. As back up batteries for regular shooting, the wasabi's are just fine. Beyond that, you get what you pay for.
    When I went to Evergreen Air and Space Museum, I killed the sony batt and a wasabi batt during my visit,

12. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I have the same 3 batteries, and the same experience with them as you do, AK. Kind of disappointing, since the Wasabis have a much higher mAh rating than the Sony.

13. 24cal

24cal New to TalkEmount

Jun 1, 2014
    West Sussex, England
    I have 2 spares for holidays but find that 1 spare for a day out is enough. I use manual focus and evf usually

14. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have the OEM that came with my Nex-5 (still seems to hold it's charge well after 3 years), The OEM with the A6000, plus got some other brand one chucked in when I got the A6000 - so 2 OEM and 1 other total. It's worth noting the newer OEM is half the weight of the older and lasts 30% longer....

I have drained 1.5 batteries in a day a few times, but never more than that (usually at car/track events where I am shooting with AF and with 11fps often).

Traveling I always take all 3, but am yet to do an extended vacation with no charge facilities. I expect the 3 would last me a week easily though as on a general holiday day out I might only use 30% of a battery.

15. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    As for myself, I only have 1 spare battery. It's been enough so far. The spare one I have cost me $20 only. I can't see the difference with the Sony one. So it's not that expensive in the end. Even if it wasn't as good, it's not a lot of money spent. Time will tell if it's good quality or not...

16. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    When I went to Greece for a month, I picked up a spare Sony battery to go with the cheap-o I already had plus the one that came with the 5n. The only day I needed the third battery was when I forgot to charge one from the day before.

Now that I have the A6000, I have another battery and (in-camera) charger. On our Alaskan cruise, I never had to use the camera to charge a battery, although the wall charger was used to re-charge multiple batteries on some nights. The A6000 burned through quicker, because of the 11fps, and for the whale watches and glaciers, I was firing off lots of pictures at once. Plus my wife and I did a lot of chimping.

17. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Funny, I actually do the opposite. On the road, I use the Wasabi batteries since I know can recharge them with the included car charger. (It might be okay to charge Sony batteries in the Wasabi charger and vice versa but I usually don't.) One Wasabi battery is more than enough to get me through a day. And if things run low, I know I have the better Sony batteries (charged up at home) for a super-reserve! :D

But that's just me...

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It seems to be perfectly safe. I keep my 3 batteries on a steady rotation, using the Wasabi charger on all of them, including the Sony. It hasn't seemed to affect it negatively in any way that I can detect. If anything, the Wasabis seem to be suffering the most. :(

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Now, when I acquisited used 5r, I have totally 6 batteries, 2 original and 4 chinese (about $8 each, I dont remember). All works great, 5r actually with firmware v0.1… .

Sent from my ZTE V967S using TalkEmount mobile app

20. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Just one spare battery for me. A Sony (supposedly). But so far I have never really had to swap batteries in the middle of any given day. Like to have the backup for long days on travel though. If I ever get a second body (oh how I hope and pray) I may get another spare.