How I do this with with native lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, May 11, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi the last
    days I am taking a walk my adapted lenses and I am looking on the scene calculating.
    Focus at that distance and use an aperture of X to get what I want. That worked nicely for old film cameras.

How I can do something similar with my nex? I can set the aperture but what about the focus point? Manual focus does not have meter scale at all ...

Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Zone focusing is not really possible with NEX cameras. If you really need it for your style of shooting, there are two options: Adapt a lens with a focus scale or take some time focusing on an object in the distance you want the focus to be tack sharp and calculate the depth of field using an app like "Field Tools" or "Photopills".

But really, my recommendation is - use focus peaking without any magnification, you'll have focused in less than a second with some practice and a contrasty lens.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    so your recommendation for the native lenses is to do it always on peaking and forget about auto focus. Right?

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Exactly. Focus peaking is awesome.

5. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    On some NEX cameras there is an option to display a focus scale is a native lens is in manual focus mode. However it doesn't show a range of acceptable focus but instead just an approximate focus distance.

Wish Sony would fully implement this. A focus scale in the digital/EVF world could be even more useful by adjusting the range of acceptable focus to take in consideration pixel density, diffraction, etc.

I love Sony's camera but I wish they had a couple more old school photographers on their design teams.

• Like Like x 1