How I change background

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mr203, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Guys,
    Please find attached picture , I found this picture somewhere online. I wanted to know how to make background black ? Natively the backgrounds aren't black so someone must have used some software to change the background to black. Please advise

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looks like it was a staged / studio type set shot and if so a simple black paper or cloth was probably used...spot metering may have also been used which can essentially make an already dark background disappear

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah. I agree with roundball. If you light the subject enough, then the background will eventually appear dark enough to fade into blackness.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Or carry a black non reflective piece of cloth with you

5. Mr203

Mr203 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 2, 2015
    MRR
    Thanks all

6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    MRR,

Sometimes I do volunteer work and take pictures of products. I use a studio box with 3 lights and differently colored clothes (Black, white, blue, red, or grey) depending upon what would make the product show up better.

Using a black non-reflective cloth, and depending upon the exposure and how far away the product is from the cloth you can render it nearly invisible almost with little post-processing (it also works with a white cloth).

DSC00342-21-L.

A slightly different exposure here of the same product shows a bit of the cloth
    DSC00351-29-L.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    So as people have said, you set up a shot with a dark background, plenty of light on the subject and as little as possible spilling on to the background.

Once you get into post processing, you can make that dark background into pure black by adjusting the black clipping level. In Lightroom you pull the black slider down, with the clipping warning on so you can see what is being clipped.