How heavy flash on the hotshoe

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jan 31, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi there,
    I wonder how robust a smart terminal to hotshoe adapter is and how heavy flash it can support? I wonder if I can mount a speedlight sb900 :p that would be fun !!

Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Nexes are pretty difficult to use with a heavy flash. I think that mine are something like 450 g with batteries. I am thinking about flash holder for a L bracket.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I have an SB-700 and its OK, most of the reviews I read suggested the SB-900 would be too big for the smart terminal with hotshoe adaptor.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Sb-700? Nice one btw!! How long do you use it on the smart terminal adapter? Have you noticed if the smart terminal being a bit harmed or not?

Alex

5. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    The most I have used it is 2 hours - no damage, I just make sure I do the screw up nice and tight so there is no play/wobble in the adaptor. Its a nice combo with my NEX.
    The only issue I had was the hot shoe adaptor I have does not tell the NEX that a flash is attached, so the live view screen is very dark... I have ordered and am waiting for this hot shoe adaptor which solves the issue... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330968512289

• Like Like x 1
  6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Cool. thanks a lot for the answer. Let me know if that helped you with the problem you mentioned. I will try to see if I can afford the sb-700 but I still find it a bit expensive

Alex