1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How fast is your sd card?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Aug 26, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I wanted to ask how fast your sd card is? I was using a class A but I found that it was quite slow for capturing more that 4 raw shots per few seconds.

Have you have invented to an even faster card and if yes which one?

Regards
    Alex

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I use the higher end Sandisk SD cards which are 45 MB/s read/write. However, my next cards will be faster - these are not the newest ones, so they were the fastest when I bought them. Next time, I'll go for a 90 MB/s card. Faster cards do make huge differences when it comes to burst shooting and most important transferring the files to the computer.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Are the new 90Mb/s card class 10 also? Is always the bottleneck the card speed or it can also be the processing part inside the camera's body?
    A

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    They are usually UHS-I, which is above the normal class rating system. These cards always have their respective speeds printed on them. Normal class 10 cards are between 10 and 20 MB/s.

The bottleneck is NOT always the card. The camera can't write faster than at a certain speed, and the pictures have to be processed as well. But eliminating the card as bottleneck can't hurt, and fast cards are pretty cheap nowadays.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have a class 8 and really have no problems.

6. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Sony memory stick, 15 images in a fast burst with RAW, 15 seconds to clear the buffer. I need to know those things is all. That's on the NEX-7.

Danny.

7. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Having faster card can never hurt... If anything it will at least save you some time when transferring the images to the computer.

I planned to buy the one with 90Mbps transfer rate at first but the price difference is quite hefty, so I got a class 10 30Mbps Sandisk SDHC instead and so far it hasn't disappoint. It has ocassionally lagged at times when I took a shot, review it, & immediately delete the image. It's not such a big deal though.

8. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    What size cards do you guys use. Do you prefer to use 1 big card or do you like to have several smaller cards to avoid faille and losing everything?

9. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I use several 16 GB cards. Usually I change them from day to day until I get access to my computer to transfer the files, so if the worst thing comes true, I at least only loose one day of shooting.

But I'm pretty confident. I heard quite a few stories where SD cards survived the worst things, so I don't think they'll fall apart too easily.

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I am having a single 32 gb... Pokis approach is much better I think as 16gb is large enough ... Although I always get tempted from the reduced byte cost of larger memories.

A.

11. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    I've used a 32GB sandisk 45mb/s since January when I got my F3, still stays reliable with my 7 after all this time. Bought another 32gb samsung for my recent trip but never got around to using it.

12. nex5r

nex5r TalkEmount Rookie

May 30, 2013
    Hi!
    I worked out a test with my three sdhc cards.
    1. Sandisk sdhc I 10 16GB 30MB/s
    2. Transcend sdhc I uhs 16GB 90MB/s
    3. Same as 2.

Burst mode with speed priority on my nex-5r
    All three cards had 100 pics / 30s.
    This in jpeg.
    and now the surprise. ..

In raw

1. 44 pics in the first 30s clearing in 7s
    2. and 3. 41 pics in the first 30s! Clearing in 10s

Another test with an old memory stick pro duo 4GB

17 pics in raw in the first 30s clearing after another 39s!

13. nex5r

nex5r TalkEmount Rookie

May 30, 2013
    So I run another test with an usb3 cardreader and the mystery is found...
    the sandisk sdhc I 30Mb/s runs fast in writing
    45mb/s!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app

14. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I use the Lexar Professional (400x) which reports 60mb/s. I haven't run any tests of my own, but that's been fast enough for me. My first priority is to have a reliable card. I don't do any video; so as long as the card is "fast enough," speed comes in at second place.