How do you rate the teleconverters?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 23, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Dear all,

I have a Minolta MD 50mm 1:1.7 (at least this is written over the lens :p)

I would like to try some teleconverters, preferably the 1.5x or even the 2x for my lens. I guess I have to go for the "official" minolta ones. I had a first look and the ebay market looks to not have one. Instead I find teleconverters from other manufacturers. How do you rate those then?
    MY apperture ring has the following numbers: 1.7, 2.8, 4, 5.8, 11, 18 , 22 if I am loosing one stop that would mean that my apperture ring would be now 2.8, 4, 5.8, 11, 18 , 22, +(plus one more here I guess). Right?

2. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Teleconverters are always a compromise. The best ones are designed for a specific lens or lenses and are very expensive.
    The cheap, off brand, converters will be soft. Whether they are too soft is a judgment of the individual photographer.
    A 2x teleconverter typically looses two stops so your f1.7 would be f4 as far as exposure is concerned.
    I'm not sure how to think about the aperture in terms of DOF and other aspects.
    The actual diameter of the opening does not change but the effective focal length of the lens does.
    Perhaps someone with a better grasp of optics than I have can enlighten us.
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    I agree with Rick. I had an "official" Canon 2X converter for my FD lenses, but the results I got with it were almost always less than I was willing to live with. And my standards aren't all that high. :p

I think you'd be better off getting an 85mm or 100mm lens of decent quality to supplement your 50mm if you're looking for more reach.
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    I'd agree with Rick and Dave. A 2X converter it probably is not going to give you the results you are wanting. Now if you're talking macro, a 2X macro converter is worthwhile as a cheaper alternative to a dedicated macro lens.
  5. Purushotham Racharla

Purushotham Racharla TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Bangalore, India.
    Purushotham Racharla
    My own experince with Vivitar 2x teleconverter for minolta is that the image quality is far from satisfactory. ITs definitely worth spending a littemore mony and buy a lense with suitable focal length.
  6. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I use a Minolta MC7 2x teleconverter and I find it works just fine both for macros and tele shots. You do lose a little light, but in macro mode you will actually get a shallower depth of field, razor thin at wide apertures. So you can't just think that aperture shifts up. Of course in good conditions of light, you won't notice any difference because light metering and shutter speed will compensate for it.

Here's one that I took the other day with MC7 + MC 50/1.4 set at f/5.6 i think:

It is also superb to be able to double the length of your tele lenses. For instance my MD 70-210 becomes a 2 x 210 x 1.5 = 630 mm max lens. My MC7 is also quite sharp in this respect.

If you can get one at a decent price, I think it is a great photographic tool, that certainly adds two more dimensions to each lens.
  7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    I guess you got so good results as you used a teleconverter from the same manufacturer (Minolta) as your lenses (Minolta) too.

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    My standards must be way low, as I find the shots with TC quite acceptable - if not spectacular. This was taken with Minolta MD 50/1.7 and Kiron MC7 2x converter

DSC05207 by BugsDaddy, on Flickr
  9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    wait a sec. Is this indeed constructed from minolta ? I can not find such thing in the whole ebay.
    The closest is the
    that I understand that is manufactured from the TELESTART.
  10. mrbenji

mrbenji New to TalkEmount

Feb 26, 2014
    I assume he's referring to the Kiron MC7 2X converter for Minolta, which is a seven element design and has a good reputation. AFAIK the only general purpose (i.e. not made for a specific lens) Minolta-made, MD-mount teleconverters were the 300-S and the 300-L -- the 300-S is meant for lenses 300mm or shorter, while the 300-L is for lenses 300mm or longer.