How do you rate OSS in the SEL1855 and the SEL50

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Oct 2, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I wanted to ask how the SEL1855 and SEL50 do in terms of shake reduction. How many stops one can "save" with these lenses? IS it two, three shutter speeds? So lets say if I shoot at 1/125 for sharp results how much low I can go for same sharpness?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

Alex

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Can't speak for the 1855, but the 50 gives 3 or 4 stops depending on the scene. Just remember OOS is also dependent on how solid your technique is. I get much sharper shots at the same shutter than when I first started.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    is this full 3 stops? even two full stops would be enough I guess

4. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Oss can be fantastic if you know its limitations, don't expect to be able to shake the camera and it still work. But for small movements on slow shutter speeds it works a treat. This isn't a good shot but it is a good example, while not terribly sharp it still came out better than I would expect. Shot this with the kit lens (16-50) at iso 3200 at 16mm f3.5 1/3 second shutter speed. While the kit lens does not have a soft spot in my heart I do use it from time to time when I want my camera as compact as possible.

_DSC7793 by Chris Thackray, on Flickr

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    1/3 for the 20mm equivalent I guess is only two and half stops.
    Thanks for posting
    Alex

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    1 stop, 2 stops, 3 stops..... It doesn't really matter what somebody else can do alios. It only matters what you can do. Shutter clicks don't cost much, take shots and compare for yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    You summarized what I was trying to say. Basically, my technique and the scene dictated how effective stabilization worked.