How do you import picutres in the pc?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alaios, Mar 23, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    I wanted to ask over the program you are using to import the files from the camera to your pc.
    I was using the playmemories home and I was really happy with this program but for some reasons crashes all the time (I was not able to find a solution in google and I can not spend more time solving it).

I am looking for an alternative that:

1. Can import my files to the computer and make corresponding date-folders and move files there (raws, jpegs, dngs and movie files)
    2. Ask me if it wants to import all files or if it wants me to select which files to import
    3. have a calendar view so I can browse from up to down and see all pictures from all folders, ordered by date.

Is there a program that can do that?

Regards
    Alex

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I recommend Lightroom
    It is known for PP and workflow but I believe it is also a very powerful organization and archival tool.
    Its library functions do everything you ask and more. It's also built to manage pro-level volume. Many tools may have a great looking UI that work fine when you don't have many pictures, then they slow down as your library grows.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Another vote for Lightroom here.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Lightroom for me too :)

5. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    I am thinking of photoshop elements if you are looking for calendar view. It has editing capabilities though more basic than lightroom, but in exchange you get layer editing. Not much of learning curve needed if you are moving from play memories since its interface is pretty much the same in my opinion. It is also cheaper than lightroom.

Sent from my LG-E440 using TalkEmount mobile app

6. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    If you don't need RAW support, I higly recommend ACDSee.
    ACDSee Pro comes with RAW support but I would try to get a promotion price on the official website.

7. BlueBill

BlueBill TalkEmount Regular

Jan 6, 2014
    Toronto
    I use a Synology NAS. It has a USB (works with my RX100mk2) and SDXC card quick copy button.