• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

How do you guys support a big lens that doesn't have a collar?

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Saw this question asked on another forum with ref to supporting an A6000 with a long lens on it.
I was thinking about a hose clamp around the lens adapter, but not sure if the adapter has enough 'width' for that.
You have any tricks up your sleeves for solving this problem on the cheap?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
If I needed to do this, I would consider jury rigging a support from two pieces of either flat aluminum or plywood stock.

The first piece (bottom plate) would be the base and have a way to secure the camera body such as either a 1/4 x 20 bolt or aam A/C clamp.
It would also have a way to secure this piece to a tripod or monopod such as a 1/4 x 20 female thread or an A/C plate.
The second piece would be attached (welded or epoxied) to the bottom plate in a perpendicular position and it would have a half circle cut out of the top what would conform to the diameter of the lens.

I have never made one of these but, I think that it might work...

However, before I fabricate any piece of photo gear, I try an internet search to see if an equivalent piece of gear is available within a reasonable price. I found this on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Long-Focus...4414941d5f862fb91680|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

There is a plethora of these lens supports available on eBay. You could either fine one that appeals to you or fabricate one using these examples...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...1.TRS1&_nkw=telephoto+lens+support&_sacat=625

Last edited:

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
And thanks to both you Gents. I am the beneficiary of AlwaysOnAuto's query and Ricard Crowe's suggestions.
The idea of fabricating a custom support of ply/aluminum bar stock is very appealing - the vibration-dampening properties of wood may be a plus.
Thanks again!
X

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Here is a picture of my Nikon bellows system.
I think something like this could easily be modified to do what you want/need.

DSC05964 (Large).JPG
NEX-7       28mm    f/2.8    1/60s    ISO 1600

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Is this for an adapted lens? There are aftermarket Canon EF collar mounts on ebay for under $10 that are suitable for modification.
I purchased one designed for the Canon 70-200mm f/4 USM zoom which has a diameter of ~65mm, for adapted lenses. I lined and trimmed a sheet of rubber unto the collar ring and it holds most E-mount adapters, and some legacy long lenses too.
I have it semi-permanently attached to a Fotasy AdaptAll to E-mount adapter.
There exists a larger diameter version, and a Nikon spec version.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
And thanks to both you Gents. I am the beneficiary of AlwaysOnAuto's query and Ricard Crowe's suggestions.
The idea of fabricating a custom support of ply/aluminum bar stock is very appealing - the vibration-dampening properties of wood may be a plus.
Thanks again!
X
Plus premium plywood like Baltic Birch is very easy to work with and could look quite professional when finished.

Viewing the supports listed on eBay. I have begun to think that resting the front part of the lens on a pair of rollers might be best. These screen door rollers have springs which would allow the lens to rest easily...
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=sliding+screen+door+rollers&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Plus premium plywood like Baltic Birch is very easy to work with and could look quite professional when finished.
I've used a little furniture-grade ply before, It's classy, would indeed make a nice appearance. Now to balance the time/effort against the convenience of off-the-shelf (or, rather, off eBay...)

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
It is - an Asahi 200 f4. Witht the K&F, it's ... big.

I also have that lens, Asahi Pentax Super Multi-coated Takumar 200mm f/4. I've supported larger lenses to 300mm from the adapter with no issues. You can also purchase a M42-E mount adapter with built-in tripod mount.
The one I recommend has a removable screwed-on mounting foot. It's the best value for construction, features, and price. Yehon brand, about $12-15 USD on ebay.

DSC02229.JPG
ILCE-6000       0mm    f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 250
DSC02230.JPG
ILCE-6000       0mm    f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 250

Here is a photo of my DIY E-mount adapter tripod collar. That's a 70-210 f/4 zoom + 2x teleconverter in front of it.

46137051101_6b9ebb7fe1_o.jpg
ILCE-7M2    ----       f/1.0    1/125s    ISO 800
2018-11-29 14-42-24_035_Pentax Super Takumar 35mm f2 by wNG iMAGE aND dESIGN, on Flickr

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
Thanks, Wing. Unfortunately, I'm not finding the Yehon brand on eBay in the US - seems to be on eBay.UK, DE, etc. "(Google) site:eBay.com" searches are such a thicket ...

OTOH, I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/Tripod-Adapter-Camera-NEX-5T-NEX-3N/dp/B073GNK34H huh.

No, that style is the old one with the tripod foot permanently attached.

Here is what I found on ebay, based on the physical appearance....they don't always list it by brand. But it's the only one with this particular removable mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-M42...000-A7-A7R-NEX-3-5-6-7-5N-5T-CAP/282237909821

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-wi...ny-E-mount-Camera-NEX-5-NEX-7-A7/332709256969

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Lugubrious update: eBay msg this am advises that this thing may arrive by Aug 24 ...

Meanwhile, eschewing caffeine to improve hand-holding tele lenses ...

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
With heavy lenses it really is best to support the lens itself if at all possible. There are Y shaped supports to put on a monopod to achieve this & I have seen tripod mounts sold that could be padded to hold smaller lenses. Not something I've tried yet as my heavy SLR lenses all have tripod mounts, and the bigger ones (telescopes) wouldn't fit the mounts for sale.

There are mounting rings available for the scopes but these need a bit of DIY to mount them on a camera tripod. I've used those with my Celestron 130 but just sticking the scope on my shoulder or under my arm has proved adequate for quick tests like this one with my uncollimated Helios 1000mm/8.7:
29491953578_102e709913_c.jpg
   ---            
Helios 1000mm f/8.7 scope handheld adj usm
by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Over the shoulder looks/feels too much like a rocket launcher so might be best avoided in locations with potential terrorist targets. :ninja:

Lugubrious update: eBay msg this am advises that this thing may arrive by Aug 24 ...

Meanwhile, eschewing caffeine to improve hand-holding tele lenses ...
Things might not be as bad as they suggest, I've had quite a few e-bay packages arrive well before the start of their estimated dates, (as well as some that arrive a week or two after & more that never arrive at all). I think this has changed only a tiny amount since Covid 19 reared it's head, certainly some still come in early.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
I'm-a-hopin such is the case; fair following seas for the Liberian-flagged container ship, a post office that moves with alacrity, a motivated carrier...

Latest threads

Top Bottom