• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

How do you guys support a big lens that doesn't have a collar?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I should have provided you a link to a US-based ebay seller for that M42 adapter. It was a little more expensive + shipping.
Hopefully the international shipping won't take too long. Now that most of the economies are online, may it arrive in two weeks.

As for the need to support long lenses from the lens itself. True it they were very heavy and large. But the 200mm f/4 mentioned is not, even with an adapter. I hang one off the front of my A7II and have no concerns attaching to the tripod from the body.

The 'mounted' M42 adapter in question can accommodate large primes up to 400mm f/5.6, or 70-200 f/2.8 zooms.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Oh, no worry, WNG, it'll get here and likely sooner than later. A little tied up just now anyhow, per my other thread in trying to understand the mysteries of getting an LTM 39 fitted to an ILCE 6000. Figure that'll occupy the rest of the summer ..

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Oh, should mention that I'm hanging the 200 on an A6000, which (to me) seems a little "dainty" for the job but that's probably just paranoia

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
I've seen that, but ya know, I'm thinking of the stress forces on the whole front of the camera body.
Just seems to me to be a lot of weight to bear ... I could, as always, be wrong ..

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I've seen that, but ya know, I'm thinking of the stress forces on the whole front of the camera body.
Just seems to me to be a lot of weight to bear ... I could, as always, be wrong ..
Stress forces from a 200mm f/4 should be well within the design parameters, that's not a big lens. My 200/3.5 lenses weigh less than some of my camera bodies.
Of course even with a 135mm it's best to support the lens while taking a shot but thats more for good stability than to reduce strain on the body.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
Stability and the reduction of shake is a prime goal also. With K&E adapter, there's five inches leading out there, with most of the weight toward the end. Magnification of the smallest wobble - I personally need a brace of some kind to quell it; just not steady enough.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X - Can you toss a picture of the A6k+lens up so we can see what you're dealing with?
(I understand that you have a 'little' camera available for such shots. :whistling: )

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
200 f4 (with hood) -
20200722_105102RESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/1.5    1/12s    ISO 250

135 f2.5
20200722_105233RESIZED.jpg
SM-N960U    ---    4mm    f/1.5    1/10s    ISO 250

May not look like much, but I'm not steady when unbraced.

Yeah, the "little camera" in this case is the phone ...
except for my gaggle of small P&Ses, the A6000 is by far the smallest camera I own, and it weighs nothing. The K&F adapter itself is metal & porky, and the Takumars are old-school & substantial.

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
per eBay tracking this morning

• Jul 23, 2020
  • 6:00pm
    • Export customs declaration completed
  • Jul 23, 2020 7:00am Regional distribution center departed
    • JIAXING, ZHEJIANG
Fixin' to get on a boat, anyhow ...

xavyr

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
William the Crankier
The boat has sailed.

• Jul 25, 2020
  • 6:03am
  • Departure from origin country
Now to avoid Malay pirates.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At that price I'm going to assume, I know, there's THAT word again, that it is made of plastic, not aluminum.
Am I right bobbill?

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
At that price I'm going to assume, I know, there's THAT word again, that it is made of plastic, not aluminum.
Am I right bobbill?
That should be aluminum. Looks like the "Canon White" version of the black collar I found.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Am I right bobbill?
Honestly cannot recall, but it was substantial...and I have yet to use.
Sort of a "thought I needed" sort of thing. Probably nylon/plastic mold from Chinon, though.
Just saw a glimpse of thread and offered 2cents.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
That should be aluminum. Looks like the "Canon White" version of the black collar I found.
WNG, I sorta recall and bought the cheapo, added foam ring around ID and stuck in bag, still stuck too :], but it is there if I need it. And, very snug, and cheap, like moi.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Nobody "hulks it" anymore.

---            

Top Bottom