1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How do I obtain a battery that shows percent charge?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by TomH, Oct 29, 2013.

1. TomH

TomH New to TalkEmount

May 17, 2013
    Recently bought a nex-6, and the included battery shows the amount of charge remaining on the display during normal use. Just bought another Sony battery off Amazon, and it does not show this (just a crossed-out battery icon). The new battery seems to charge and operate normally, but part of the reason I paid the extra for the Sony battery was to ensure that the remaining charge would be shown. The new battery that does not show the percentage is later alphabetically than the original (old:k2hhe, new:k3egh). It does not appear to be counterfeit, as the new one looks identical except for the different code.

How do I ensure that any replacement battery I exchange this one for will not have the same problem?

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I'm afraid this is not a real Sony battery.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have a secondary battery that is not from Sony, but works perfectly.

Good luck sorting this out?

As to yours, it could just be bad. Ask for a replacement. However, as you hint you might get a replacement that does the same thing.

4. Kepelus

Kepelus New to TalkEmount

Jul 29, 2013
    The Sony battery you purchased may be either defective, or it is not a genuine product from Sony. To see the remaining battery life information, the battery needs to have a decoded chipset so that the camera is able to receive the battery life information. Because of this, a lot of cheaper imitation Sony batteries will not display the battery life properly as they do not have the requisite chip in them.

I can recommend UpStart batteries (http://www.amazon.com/UpStart-Battery-New-Decoded-Replacement/dp/B004SQH9J2) as I have used them and can vouch for them, but there are definitely other manufacturers as well if you don't want to go the OEM route. Otherwise, a genuine Sony battery should not give you any trouble. I would suggest asking the seller if it is a genuine product and go from there.

Good luck!

5. TomH

TomH New to TalkEmount

May 17, 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Out of curiosity I tried charging and draining the battery a few times, and the charge remaining now appears and seems to work correctly! Still need to check and make sure the life is similar to that of the first.

The label is identical to the battery that came with the camera except for the serial #, so if it is fake it is the best I've seen. I tried removing and placing the battery back into the camera and charging it several times, but only with the charge/drain/charge cycle did it start working fully.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Glad you had success.