How do I get an a6000 to stop auto-correcting colors?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ytthirteenhundred, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ytthirteenhundred

ytthirteenhundred TalkEmount Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Hi, I recently purchased a Sony a6000 and am very happy with it except for one problem which I have not been able to solve: after taking a photo, the camera automatically adjusts the colors. This very frustrating because I will set the white balance to exactly what I want, take a picture, then to my dismay, my camera goes "screw you" and changes the colors of the photo (usually making them a nasty yellow color as if they were shot in artificial light). I can actually watch it change the color during the two second viewing period. It does this no matter what the white balance is set to. I assume that this is meant to be a "smart" feature to make the colors more natural, but so far, I have yet to see it actually improve a shot. If anyone knows how to shut this feature off, I would really appreciate it. For the most part, I love this camera, but I just returned from a day of shooting, and the colors on most of my pictures are horrible because of this feature. Thanks for the help!

2. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Are you pushing the center button on the wheel to lock the setting after you set white balance?

3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    Did you set any creative style recently ? ( like sunset, night scene or autumn) since this is probably what is changing the scene colors under your eyes in spite of your WB settings. This would explain why the recording takes so much time since the camera is post processing your picture

Photo effects could also be the cause of something like this but i don't see any that would change the color the way you describe.

4. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    thanks for the response, but it does this no matter what creative style is being used (including standard). The colors will look fine before taking the picture (both on the screen and through the viewfinder), then after taking it, they look fine for the first second of review (I have it set to a two second review), but at the second second, the colors suddenly change, and the version that is saved is the changed version. It may be worth noting that the noise is greatly reduced at the same instant that the colors change. I have tried shutting off noise reduction, but when I do that, the colors still change, the pictures just have more noise.

5. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQarv0Cjs8&feature=youtu.be

To try to show you what's happening, I used my NEX5 to take a video of the a6000 taking a photo (the a6000 was on a 10 second time with a two second display time after taking the photo). 14 seconds into the video, the a6000 takes the photo, then at 16 seconds, you can suddenly see the color change. The change may seem fairly minor, but in a lot of situations it is proving large enough to really mess up photos. Also, please note that the colors look terrible both before and after than change, but that is just because I was videoing inside in really bad lighting conditions, its just the change in color that I am worried about because that happens even when the white balance is perfect prior to taking the picture. Thanks again.

6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Tried to recreate this on my nex-6 but was unsuccessful. Are you shooting jpeg or raw ?

7. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    Næstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hmm According to the screen its on "FINE" which I guess means its JPEG
    Best regards

8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Yes fine is jpeg, maybe try raw see if it persists.

9. lelejk86

lelejk86 New to TalkEmount

Nov 7, 2014
    Do you have the hdr option turned on by any chance?

10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It only takes a single image so no. Might have DRO turned on though?

11. lelejk86

lelejk86 New to TalkEmount

Nov 7, 2014
    Yes, sorry, that's what I meant!

12. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Have you tried resetting to factory defaults?

13. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    2nd the thought of checking WB settings in various conditions. and 3rd on the RAW suggestion. And try using AP mode instead of one of the "Smart" modes

14. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    It does the same thing in RAW or JPEG and with DRO on or off. I've tried shutting off everything that I can think of and it still happens. I feel like I have to be missing something though. Surely there is a way to turn this off. (note: this is a brand new camera, so a hardware problem is possible, but it doesn't seem very likely)

15. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    My guess is hardware problem if you've worked through all the possibilities. I played with my a6000 last night and could see how to create this. The only time I've had a white balance problem was when the WB got accidently shifted from Auto.

16. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Take it back and get another if the full reset didn't work.

17. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I forgot to mention, I have tried this on multiple white balance settings under several different lighting conditions, and with one exception, it always does this, and it almost always makes things look worse. The one exception is when using flash. There is no color change during the review time when with the pop up flash (I don't have an external). I have also tried shooting in M, S, A, and P, and it does this for all of them.

18. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    I have not reset it factory, but I am holding onto that as a last resort because it will take me an hour or so to get everything back to the settings that I like, and I may end up accidentally reactivating this during that process. So I'd rather know exactly what's causing it. I may end up having to go that route though.

19. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Go to auto white balance and right button until you get to the color matrix screen the dot which represents the auto setting should be dead center of the lines.

20. ytthirteenhundred

Nov 29, 2014
    It is, but the camera disregards that white balance and changes the picture post hoc. That's really my problem. I love how adaptable the white balance is on this camera, but no matter what I set the balance to, it changes the colors after I take the picture.