1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How did you compose with not tiltable screen?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jul 5, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I am quite new in photography, I have selected before christmas the nex-f3 body as it was very good on low light performance, compared to other cameras at this price range. Plus it also had an embedded flash, accessory part and more important a screen that goes 180 degrees up.
    That I thought was important as I could compose self portraits with wife. We have got some very good self portraits with the self kit lens wide open at 18mm.
    I do not regret my selection as self portraits make some very nice to remember shots. I was wondering though how you are doing your self portraits, I know there are pods, monopods good for doing the self portraits... but how do you compose your shot? It is very hard to find these days screens that can be tilted so to allow self portraits.

I guess there might be a way to do that, otherwise it might be too bad to go for very expensive model like nex-7 and loose that feature.

Thanks
    Alex

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's always using a mirror. Shoot chest up shots and keep the camera low. Or you can put the camera in front of the mirror (facing away from the mirror) and use the mirror to place yourself in the frame.

3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    If you use a tripod it's actually easier with two people. Just set it up with your wife, allow for any height differential and use a remote or the 10 sec timer.

For handheld, well I have a friend that could take fantastic selfies every time just holding the camera out at arms length. Use iA and snap away. Of course she liked to take about a hundred of them each day, so I guess it's just a 'practice makes perfect' deal.

4. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    mirror? I do not get that...

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You stand in front of the mirror facing it. Hold the camera at waist level, compose the shot so you can't see the camera, look into the mirror without moving your body and take the shot.

I'm not even going to try and explain the second part.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks what you meant practice at home approach. I am not sure how this can be applied very good at outdoors where are times that we have to change body height and camera angle to include background information we need.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ah, you meant out in the world self portraits. I use my iPhone 5, not my camera. Then again I almost never do self-portraits so it isn't an issue for me. Sorry!

8. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    If you practice with the right lens, your 30mm, for instance, you will soon learn its field of vision. Then you will be able to compose instinctively.

I did it for my street shooting. I found that many people change their behaviour or attitude as soon as someone lifts a camera to their eyes. If you want to capture real scenes, that doesn't work so well. So I practiced hip shooting with my 30mm pancake. The first few runs were pretty failed, but after that I started nailing most shots.

And no, I don't do selfies, either.