How did I get volunteered for the job?!

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by teefin1, Nov 16, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I went along to my usual Friday morning playgroup today with the littleys. I decided to take my camera for the first time. Mistake number 1.

The playgroup leader asked if I would take a picture of every child for the Xmas calendar , because i had a camera. How could I say no? Mistake number 2.

So now i'm under pressure to provide decent photos, not being a photographer, and only recently having encountered manual lenses. Oops.

Here are a few from today all taken with the Minolta 50/1.7, and as requested, mostly in B&W. Not traditional portraits, just an attempt to capture shots of [lots of] small children at play!

DSC08714 (2).

DSC08726 (2). DSC08732 (2).

DSC08766 (2).

Attached Files:

2. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    They're lovely...absolutely terrific.
  3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Considering your shots are stunningly awesome, you can expect to be asked again !
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Nice work!!! Especially like No.3 and No.5 ;)
  5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Those are great. Well done. :)
  6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Beautiful shots, did they ask you to quit the dayjob yet? :D
  7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I love these portraits are very good, I thought you did not know about this, but seeing the results are excellents, the last photos are my favorite, very sweet, very sharp eyes, very well.
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
  9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    The very reason I don't pursue a career as a photographer is I like to take the pictures I like, not necessarily the ones people want me to take.

There is a lot of pressure to get perfect pictures when you are the wedding/event photographer.

The images you posted look respectable and they should be pleased.
  10. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    You're doing it wrong.

You are supposed to screw up so they don't ask you again. Now you'll have to do it every year.
  11. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ha ha, thank you all for such kind words and for being so funny. I don't have a day job, so no pressure there, and you're right Changsha, I'm not doing too badly, though nobody would ever suggest I take it up professionally Dave, I definitely get it wrong enough in that respect. :p Having never experienced it before, the worry over what others may like vs what I like gives pause.