1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How about adapting modern lenses ?!?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nianys, Dec 12, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Ok we all know how lovely, fun and addictive legacy glass is.
    Now, let's say I want a reasonably size fast zoom for my NEX... There's none. Ok, so what if I want to adapt say, a Tamron or Sigma 17-50/2.8 (or close anyway), how do I do that ? What about aperture selection on modern lenses with no aperture ring ?? What about EF or Nikon F or G, or Minolta lenses or Pentax current lenses ? I know there are two adapters for the Minolta/Sony lenses but what about the other mounts ? I have a cute fastish Sigma zoom in EF mount which AF is broken, but I'd still like to try if on my NEX, how do I go about it ???

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    You need this to get the electronics of the lens talking to the electronics of the camera. My brother has a 70-200/4 EF lens that I'd really like to try but even I balk at the cost of this adapter (sigh)

3. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Wo, that's pricey. I suppose it's a bit Like the Sony a to e adapter. Good idea though!

4. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    That price is just nasty ! No doubt it's a clever little unit but nearly $500 ? Wow.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There are dumb adapters (no electronics) for lenses that have no aperture ring. I use one with my Pentax DA10-17 fisheye. The issue is that you have limited control of the aperture. There is a slide switch on the adapter that allows 5 different settings from wide open to fully stopped down.

Not such a big deal on the fisheye, I shoot it at f/8 most of the time anyway, but you aren't going to have full aperture control. My Tamron 28-75/2.8 on the other hand has an aperture ring so it's no issue.

Whether or not 5 aperture settings make the lens worth using is up to you. If it isn't you either spend the money for a smart adapter or you do without.

ymmv ;)

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Sony's LA-EA1 is a comparatively inexpensive "smart" adapter (aperture control / EXIF support) that is nicely made and goes for $150 ($100 used). I went that route and tried a 3rd-party modern zoom in Sony A-mount.

7. ponyslaystation

ponyslaystation TalkEmount Regular

Oct 20, 2012
    Buy the lens in nikon mount, get an adapter (fotodiox has a decent one) that has a ring to let you control the aperture by pushing the lever. You'll have to guess at the aperture size but not a big deal.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I think the price is very high, not bet going with this adapter, I prefer to go with the 55-210mm E-mount for about 350 bucks, or the 18-200 , but its price is about a little over 800 buck, (Tamron is a little cheap ) is very small compared with some lenses of this type, of very good quality for video too and the AF is faster than the 55-210mm.

9. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Sony's LA-EA1 would be the cheapest option but the AF will be painfully slow from what I hear? Not an issue if you are happy to manuallly focus of course, but MF on modern lenses is less pleasant than on legacies.

Alternatively if you do want AF then the LA-EA2 is around £180 from Hong Kong (eg: a reliable supplier like Digital Rev) vs about £270 in the UK and then I assume the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in Sony Alpha mount will work just fine in the same way that all the Alpha Mount Sony brand lenses do with that adapter. You can also get the LA-EA2 adapter used on amazon UK marketplace from around £185, described as 'like new' and possibly similar or better deals on ebay or other EU amazon marketplace sellers (.de .es .fr).

It's quite a big lens though, so with the adapter as well you may end up with an odd looking and somewhat unbalanced camera. If it was me I would either spend not much more than the cost of the LA-EA2 (or slightly less than if using UK/EU suppliers) and get an A37 body (around £230 to £260) for use just with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or wait until either Sigma, Sony or Tamron make a fast zoom lens in e-mount (which I assume they might do at some stage, Tamron is part owned by Sony and the Alpha Mount 55-200 is exactly the same lens internally as the Sony 55-200 Alpha mount for example).

10. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    If you want a Sigma 17-50, then why not just get an a57 + an alpha mount lens? What's the point of giant lenses on tiny bodies to get a normal range zoom???

11. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    There is a picture and short review of the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 zoom on a Sony Nex (with manual adapter) here:
    Darin McQuoid Photography

Does not mention what adapter it is or how balanced/unbalanced the camera /lens combo is, but it does say:
    "Handling: 3/10 - Terrible due to the focusing ring. Will be much improved when/if they make a native E Mount version."

12. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The 17-50 isn't a big lens ! Or at least the Tamron isn't. They'd be ok on the 6 body. I don't want to carry a full body DSLR anymore !