1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How about a STICKY for an adapter review thread?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WNG, Dec 18, 2014.

1. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    With the growing popularity of using our Sony's with legacy glass, there are now so many adapters on the market. Not all are created equal in all likelihood.
    Perhaps we could start a review thread for adapters and their sources. I know it would have helped me on my quest for adapters to use with my a6000.

Most are simply a basic extension tube, or stubby ring. It would seem pretty staightforward to design a proper adapter.

I received one for Nikon F/Ai mount to NEX E mount that seems to not allow me to focus to infinity. Annoying to say the least. A situation I bet must have been shared by others. And a thread of reviews may help, and possibly improve the products out there.

Your thoughts, and experiences?

TIA!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    I think it might be a worthwhile exercise Will. I purchased a Techart Contax G to Sony E which offers some AF control and transmits some information as well and would be happy to write up a review if it was felt to be useful.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It might be helpful. But here's the rub: I have purchased several adapters over the last three years, from several different vendors. And while some of them worked well, some of the adapters that I purchased from the same vendor had radically different levels of performance. My first Fotodiox adapter, for instance, worked very well. My second one didn't allow focusing to infinity. And when they replaced it with another, it suffered from the same defect. So there's no assurance that a particular brand will perform well, even if a previous one from the same source was perfect. I've had very good luck buying from the no-name bottom-feeders on eBay and have had bad luck with purportedly reputable vendors. It's a crap shoot.

Bottom line, quality control isn't even an afterthought with some of these adapter manufacturers, and just because someone says that they had a quality experience with one particular adapter, that's no guarantee that you will. My advice? Buy from someone with a good return policy.

• Like Like x 1